real numbers: which is true? I. m2⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯√ II. ||−m|| III. −||m||

jamie bean

real numbers: which is true? I. m2⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯√ II. ||−m|| III. −||m||

Which of the following expressions, if any, are equal for all real numbers m ?
I. [FONT=STIXMathJax_Main-italic]m[FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]√[/FONT]
[/FONT]

II. [FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main-italic]m[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT]
[/FONT]

III. [FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]−[FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main-italic]m[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT]
[/FONT]

1. I and II only
  2. I and III only
  3. II and III only
  4. I, II, and III
  5. None of the expressions are equivalent.
Why is the answer A????

I. [FONT=STIXMathJax_Main-italic]m[FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Symbols]⎯[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]√[/FONT]
[/FONT]

II. [FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]−[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main-italic]m[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT]
[/FONT]

III. [FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]−[FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main-italic]m[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT][FONT=STIXMathJax_Main]|[/FONT]
[/FONT]

1. I and II only
  2. I and III only
  3. II and III only
  4. I, II, and III
Why is the answer A????

I'm guessing that's supposed to be \(\displaystyle \sqrt{m^{2}}\)?

I Positive value, Magnitude of m.
II Positive value, Magnitude of m.
III Negative value.

You're not thinking \(\displaystyle \sqrt{m^{2}} = \pm m\) , are you? That would be incorrect. You tell me why.

I'm guessing that's supposed to be \(\displaystyle \sqrt{m^{2}}\)?

I Positive value, Magnitude of m.
II Positive value, Magnitude of m.
III Negative value.

You're not thinking \(\displaystyle \sqrt{m^{2}} = \pm m\) , are you? That would be incorrect. You tell me why.

What is magnitude of m?
i understand why I=+m and -m
but i dont understand why is ii equal for all real numbers of m?

i understand i=+m and -m
but i dont understand why l-ml is equal to all real numbers of m???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
isnt l-ml=+m?

Do you know the basic definitions of |x| and \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\)? |x| is defined as: x if \(\displaystyle x\ge 0\), -x if x< 0. So |x| is never negative. \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\) is defined as "the positive number m such that \(\displaystyle m^2= x\). So \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x}\) is never negative.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

1. I and II only
  2. I and III only
  3. II and III only
  4. I, II, and III
Why is the answer A????

To help you understand, try a couple examples. Suppose that m = 5; what are the values of I, II, and III? Then repeat if m = -5.

What do you find?

To help you understand, try a couple examples. Suppose that m = 5; what are the values of I, II, and III? Then repeat if m = -5.

What do you find?

when m=5,

i=+5

ii=+5

iii=-5

when m= -5

i= -5

ii=+5

iii=-5

is this correct? im still confused TT sorry for my dumbness.
TO clarify my understandings, all real numbers = numbers other than complex numbers and imaginary numbers, right?
That means +ve and -ve numbers are included as all real numbers, isnt it?
then why arent all 3 options correct?REally thank you all for your help TT

when m=5,

i=+5

ii=+5

iii=-5

when m= -5

i= -5

ii=+5

iii=-5

TO clarify my understandings, all real numbers = numbers other than complex numbers and imaginary numbers, right?
One problem is that you do not use function notation.

\(\displaystyle f(m) = \sqrt{m^2},\ g(m) = |-\ m|,\ \text { and } h(m) = -\ |m| \text { for any } m \in \mathbb R.\)

\(\displaystyle m = 0 \implies f(m) = g(m) = h(m) = 0.\)

Do you see why?

\(\displaystyle m \ne 0 \implies h(m) < 0.\)

Do you see why?

\(\displaystyle m < 0 \implies f(m) = -\ m > 0 \text { and } g(m) = -\ m > 0 \implies f(m) = g(m) > 0.\)

Do you why?

\(\displaystyle m > 0 \implies f(m) = m > 0 \text { and } g(m) = m > 0 \implies f(m) = g(m) > 0.\)

Do you see why?

\(\displaystyle \therefore m \ne 0 \implies f(m) = g(m) > 0 > h(m).\)

\(\displaystyle \text {So, to sum up, } f(0) = g(0) = h(0) \text { and } f(m) = g(m) \ne h(m) \text { if } m \ne 0.\)

Last edited:
when m=5,

i=+5

ii=+5

iii=-5

when m= -5

i= -5

ii=+5

iii=-5

Real numbers are numbers on the number line, positive, negative, and zero.

You were given 5 options, not 3. Do you mean, why aren't all three expressions equal?

But if your answers above are correct, none of the three expressions is always equal to any of the others (that is, equal for all real numbers, which would imply they are equal for both 5 and -5).

On the other hand, you got one of your values above wrong. Expression I is \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2}\); what is \(\displaystyle \sqrt{(-5)^2}\) ? Think carefully; don't jump to conclusions, but do the actual calculation.