Y Intercept: "A line that includes points (0, -3) has a y-intercept of ___?"

landonm2772

I need help solving and understanding the following problem:

A line that includes points (0,-3) has a y-intercept of _?

I suppose you meant "A line that includes point (0,-3) has a y-intercept of _?" At first I thought there was a point missing.

But just think about the definition of y-intercept. In fact, tell us what definition you were given.

I need to repeat that although (x,y) has two numbers it is ONE single point. Now plot the point and everything will be clear.

Last edited:
I need help solving and understanding the following problem: A line that includes points (0,-3) has a y-intercept of _?
@landonm2772, suppose the question were: The non-horizontal line \(\displaystyle \ell\) contains the point \(\displaystyle (-6,0)\) then where does \(\displaystyle \ell\) cross the \(\displaystyle x\text{-axis}\). What would you answer?

@landonm2772, suppose the question were: The non-horizontal line \(\displaystyle \ell\) contains the point \(\displaystyle (-6,0)\) then where does \(\displaystyle \ell\) cross the \(\displaystyle x\text{-axis}\). What would you answer?
Did you mean to say non-vertical line?

Did you mean to say non-vertical line?

No, pka is proposing a new question with a similar but different issue. This time it's the x-intercept, not the y-intercept.

This is a good thing to consider, at least after figuring out the given question.