Can crypt

You just added a word to my vocabulary. Thanks! ?

-Dan

And for once I got the answer. jail bird

jail bird
For that phase to be the answer, the numeration would need to have been written as (4,4) instead of (8).

By the way, 'jailbird' is one word, but it still doesn't work because the direct is calaboose (which is a prison, not a person).

;)

For that phase to be the answer, the numeration would need to have been written as (4,4) instead of (8).

By the way, 'jailbird' is one word, but it still doesn't work because the direct is calaboose (which is a prison, not a person).

;)
I was working off "jail" = "calaboose" and "goose" = "bird." But yes, jailbird is one word.

Well I almost got one!

-Dan

I was working off "jail" = "calaboose" and "goose" = "bird" …
Okay. Nice try, but …

In a crypt, the 'direct' clue always appears at one end or the other. At first glance, that crypt could be potentially parsed in many ways. Here are potential directs highlighted:

Goose who dances in the calaboose (8)

That last example is a form known as &lit (short for: 'and literally so'), where the entire clue serves as both direct and wordplay.

Why is calaboose different from the calaboose? Because 'the' could be part of word play or the direct ('the' could also be an extraneous word added only to form a more naturally-sounding statement -- aka: "good surface").

Figuring out the interpretation that leads to the answer is a big part of solving cryptic clues.

Confine a Phoenix felon (8)

Direct = felon
Answer = JAILBIRD
Confine = JAIL (verb form)
a Phoenix = BIRD (mythical)

An oldie but goodie from Denis (paraphrased because it was lost).

Sounds like bubbles help a scientist (9)

Direct = a scientist
Answer = PHYSICIST
Sounds like = homophone indicator
bubbles = fizz
help = assist

?