Fraction Word Problem?

zahid0987

Hina and Arman bought a chocolate bar. Hina ate 1/8 and Arman 3/4 of the chocolate. Who ate more and by how much?

Hello and welcome to FMH! :)

It's usually much easier to compare fractions, and add/subtract them when they have a common denominator. Can you express both fractions using the same denominator?

Sir my understanding is weak can you solve it for me?

Last edited:
Please start a new thread for any additional questions, one question per thread, and include your work so we can see where you may be going wrong. If you have no idea how to begin, please let us know.

This is a young student who seems to be struggling in math. I will give a hand with this problem.
First let's motivate subtraction. If 7 bars of chocolate were purchased and Hina ate 2 bars and Arman ate 5 bars than Arman ate how much more than Hina? The result is 5bars - 2bars = 3bars. We subtract.

Now if you read 3 pages in you math book every 4 minutes, then how many pages do you read in 8 minutes? Since 8 = 4+4 and every 4 minutes you read 3 pages then you read 6 pages every 8 minutes.

This means that 3/4 = 6/ 8. Think of 6/8 as 6 out of 8. Since 6 out of 8 is more than 1 out of 8 we have that 3/4=6/8 is more that 1/8

Now that we know which is bigger we can subtract (larger - smaller) and get that 3/4 - 1/8 = 6/8 - 1/8 = 5/8. So Arman ate 5/8 more of the bar than Hina

This is a young student who seems to be struggling in math. I will give a hand with this problem.
First let's motivate subtraction. If 7 bars of chocolate were purchased and Hina ate 2 bars and Arman ate 5 bars than Arman ate how much more than Hina? The result is 5bars - 2bars = 3bars. We subtract.

Now if you read 3 pages in you math book every 4 minutes, then how many pages do you read in 8 minutes? Since 8 = 4+4 and every 4 minutes you read 3 pages then you read 6 pages every 8 minutes.

This means that 3/4 = 6/ 8. Think of 6/8 as 6 out of 8. Since 6 out of 8 is more than 1 out of 8 we have that 3/4=6/8 is more that 1/8

Now that we know which is bigger we can subtract (larger - smaller) and get that 3/4 - 1/8 = 6/8 - 1/8 = 5/8. So Arman ate 5/8 more of the bar than Hina
There is no age to learn and teach. You are great Teacher/Mentor
I Thank You From the Bottom of My Heart.