Additional Forums At MHF

mathdad

I would like to see the following extra forums at the MHF. What do you say?

•Middle School Math
•High School Math
•Word Problems
•Religion
•Sociology

You'd have to address Dan about administrative issues at MHF. :)

But, all kidding aside, the math categories you list already have appropriate forums available, and the others are likely better discussed on forums dedicated to those subjects. :)

The problem with a category such as "high school math" is that different high school's teach different subjects to high school students, and even the same high school may teach different subjects to different students.

The problem with a category devoted to word problems is not that it is not a worthy topic. Rather the problem is that the techniques for solving word problems vary with the subject. I can specify a general method for solving word problems in algebra such as

Step 1: Identify all potentially relevant unknowns and WRITE down which letter represents each unknown.

Step 2: Using the letters written down above, translate the numeric relations specified in a natural language into algebraic notation (usually equations). Remember that to solve for n unknowns you will need at least n equations.

Step 3: Using the appropriate techniques, solve what is now a purely mechanical problem in algebra.

Step 4: Check that your answer is arithmetically correct and reasonable.

That method will work for at least 99.99% of algebraic word problems, but it is inadequate for word problems in calculus.

You'd have to address Dan about administrative issues at MHF. :)

But, all kidding aside, the math categories you list already have appropriate forums available, and the others are likely better discussed on forums dedicated to those subjects. :)

Good to hear from you again. I have not given up on mathematics. As you know, I will never know as much as you and others here (and other forums) in terms of numbers but to rise above the average Joe walking down the street by "mastering" the basics is good enough for me. Look for my questions.

The problem with a category such as "high school math" is that different high school's teach different subjects to high school students, and even the same high school may teach different subjects to different students.

The problem with a category devoted to word problems is not that it is not a worthy topic. Rather the problem is that the techniques for solving word problems vary with the subject. I can specify a general method for solving word problems in algebra such as

Step 1: Identify all potentially relevant unknowns and WRITE down which letter represents each unknown.

Step 2: Using the letters written down above, translate the numeric relations specified in a natural language into algebraic notation (usually equations). Remember that to solve for n unknowns you will need at least n equations.

Step 3: Using the appropriate techniques, solve what is now a purely mechanical problem in algebra.

Step 4: Check that your answer is arithmetically correct and reasonable.

That method will work for at least 99.99% of algebraic word problems, but it is inadequate for word problems in calculus.

I agree and understand.

I would like to see the following extra forums at the MHF. What do you say?

•Middle School Math
•High School Math
•Word Problems
•Religion
•Sociology
Thank you for your interest. I'm only going to briefly address this here since it would be a more profitable discussion on MHF.

Middle School and High School Math: If you don't know where to post it put it under "Math Topics."

Word problems: Just ask the question just about anywhere.

Religion: Bad idea. Too many people have very strong differing beliefs and someone's toes always get stepped on.

Scociology: If you've got a Math problem with it then feel free to post under Math Topics. Otherwise, MHF is a Math Help site. We've even segregated Physics from the main portion of the site.

If you want to discuss this more feel free to open an account at MHF and we can get into more details.

Otherwise, while I encourage you to get an MHF account, this is a perfectly good site to ask your questions on as well. :thumbup:

-Dan

Thank you for your interest. I'm only going to briefly address this here since it would be a more profitable discussion on MHF.

Middle School and High School Math: If you don't know where to post it put it under "Math Topics."

Word problems: Just ask the question just about anywhere.

Religion: Bad idea. Too many people have very strong differing beliefs and someone's toes always get stepped on.

Scociology: If you've got a Math problem with it then feel free to post under Math Topics. Otherwise, MHF is a Math Help site. We've even segregated Physics from the main portion of the site.

If you want to discuss this more feel free to open an account at MHF and we can get into more details.

Otherwise, while I encourage you to get an MHF account, this is a perfectly good site to ask your questions on as well. :thumbup:

-Dan

I totally understand. Thank you for your reply.