FMH Member To mathdad

mathdad

A member of FMH decided to privately text me the following message:

mathdad:

"Here is some friendly advice. Please do not post 80% of all the posts. 10% is fine. Instead of posting you should study or do something else. You live in a big city, there is always something to do."

I will not disclose the name of the member, but I want to know what everyone thinks of this message. Please, let me be honest. If my questions are annoying, please say so. I can always go somewhere else. There are hundreds of free math help sites. I am shocked to learn that members who have a supreme knowledge of mathematics might be upset about MATH QUESTIONS posted for not only my pleasure but for everyone to enjoy.

HERE IS MY REPLY TO THE FMH MEMBER:

1. I do study.
2. There is nothing better than math.
3. What is 80% of my post? Are you saying too many questions are posted?
4. I live in a big, overcrowded city but there are several problems:

A. I am a loner.
B. I do make enough money to have "fun" in NYC.
C. My circle of friends has a small diameter.
D. I am a Christian. So, my life is restricted by following Jesus.
E. I hate crowds.
F. I am very timid.

I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

mathdad

The number of questions you post is entirely up to you. One person does not, and cannot, speak for everyone. If you have math questions, then please feel free to post your questions.

I did not send the private message, but I understand what motivated it.

Absolutely no one here objects to any question where you are seeking help in understanding math. In addition, there is a sub-forum for questions on issues that are related to math, including the teaching of math and the philosophy of math. Some tutors are interested in those peripheral questions; some are not, but such questions belong in the proper sub-forum.

I myself greatly value wide-ranging intellectual curiosity, but indulging in that pleasure does come at an expense of time and energy that could be devoted to disciplined study, which is what learning math requires. I do not presume to tell you which to do, but pointing out the conflct is simply honest advice.

As for what to do in New York that can be done on your own, start by visiting or revisiting The Cloisters. If you have never been, it will blow you away.

The number of questions you post is entirely up to you. One person does not, and cannot, speak for everyone. If you have math questions, then please feel free to post your questions.

Mark is the best!

I did not send the private message, but I understand what motivated it.

Absolutely no one here objects to any question where you are seeking help in understanding math. In addition, there is a sub-forum for questions on issues that are related to math, including the teaching of math and the philosophy of math. Some tutors are interested in those peripheral questions; some are not, but such questions belong in the proper sub-forum.

I myself greatly value wide-ranging intellectual curiosity, but indulging in that pleasure does come at an expense of time and energy that could be devoted to disciplined study, which is what learning math requires. I do not presume to tell you which to do, but pointing out the conflct is simply honest advice.

As for what to do in New York that can be done on your own, start by visiting or revisiting The Cloisters. If you have never been, it will blow you away.

Thank you for your input.

Let me first say that I do not agree with what the member told you in his/her message. Questions deserve some kind of answer.

However...

Take a look at this thread, where you are asking about the sum of a rational number and an irrational number. How can you be at the level of the other (many) questions you have asked and not know that the sum of a rational plus irrational is irrational? This question, though one that should be asked if you are uncertain, is IMHO so basic for your level as to be unbelievable that you would need to ask. The question implies that you need to return to study the basics of the number line!

What is frustrating to me is that you need to study one topic, thoroughly, and then move to the next when you are ready. My advice is to you is to find a good text and work your way through it one section at a time instead of jumping around. Post some questions, get answers, and study them before you post more.

-Dan

A member [sent] me the following ...

"... Please do not post 80% of all the posts ..."

... MY REPLY ...

3. What is 80% of my post? ...
Hello mathdad. The word 'my' does not appear in the original message. Replace your phrase "my post" with "all posts". (Sometimes, it seems to me that you don't read posts carefully enough.)

I think the author's suggestion is clear, but it could have been more specific, as I suspect that the particular member didn't have the entirety of your postings in mind when they sent you their suggestion.

I'll be more specific. Some of your posts are unnecessary, and some of your threads serve no useful purpose. Instead of posting a lot of stuff about your future plans to post, your study schedule, your personal study habits, and your ongoing changes-of-mind regarding such things, try to focus on math topics and exercises, instead.

Also, I understand that you enjoy starting threads with exercises for others to practice, but supplying practice exercises or exam questions for other members is not really the focus at this tutoring forum. (Personally, I can't always tell whether your thread is meant as practice for others or meant as a request for help.) Very few people in this forum come here looking for practice exercises. The boards are not intended to provide classroom instruction, and the forum is not a chat room (it's a tutoring forum). Lessons, worked examples and practice exercises are amply available elsewhere. Members who desire to chit-chat about anything ought to confine those conversations to the Odds & Ends board, and such threads ought to be clearly defined as such in the op.

I hope the added specificity helps you understand the motivation for that member's suggestion to you. On the help boards, please try to limit your contributions to specific exercises and your questions about them. On the Odds & Ends board, anything within the forum's terms and rules is okay, but please be clear up front when a thread is meant for chit-chat.

Cheers!

?

Let me first say that I do not agree with what the member told you in his/her message. Questions deserve some kind of answer.

However...

Take a look at this thread, where you are asking about the sum of a rational number and an irrational number. How can you be at the level of the other (many) questions you have asked and not know that the sum of a rational plus irrational is irrational? This question, though one that should be asked if you are uncertain, is IMHO so basic for your level as to be unbelievable that you would need to ask. The question implies that you need to return to study the basics of the number line!

What is frustrating to me is that you need to study one topic, thoroughly, and then move to the next when you are ready. My advice is to you is to find a good text and work your way through it one section at a time instead of jumping around. Post some questions, get answers, and study them before you post more.

-Dan

What makes you think I am not going through the textbook one chapter/section at a time? I am currently in section 5.1.

Hello mathdad. The word 'my' does not appear in the original message. Replace your phrase "my post" with "all posts". (Sometimes, it seems to me that you don't read posts carefully enough.)

I'll try to read more carefully. I am normally careful with my writing.

I think the author's suggestion is clear, but it could have been more specific, as I suspect that the particular member didn't have the entirety of your postings in mind when they sent you their suggestion.

I have nothing against the member. He has been nice to me. I just felt that he was suggesting for me to abandon math and this forum to have "fun" in NYC. What is his definition of FUN?

I'll be more specific. Some of your posts are unnecessary, and some of your threads serve no useful purpose. Instead of posting a lot of stuff about your future plans to post, your study schedule, your personal study habits, and your ongoing changes-of-mind regarding such things, try to focus on math topics and exercises, instead.

Ok. No more personal posts here. Every post will be strictly mathematics.

Also, I understand that you enjoy starting threads with exercises for others to practice, but supplying practice exercises or exam questions for other members is not really the focus at this tutoring forum. (Personally, I can't always tell whether your thread is meant as practice for others or meant as a request for help.) Very few people in this forum come here looking for practice exercises. The boards are not intended to provide classroom instruction, and the forum is not a chat room (it's a tutoring forum). Lessons, worked examples and practice exercises are amply available elsewhere. Members who desire to chit-chat about anything ought to confine those conversations to the Odds & Ends board, and such threads ought to be clearly defined as such in the op.

No problem. I was just trying to be nice. What's a math site without practice questions for members and visiting students? Ok. No practice questions shall be posted.

I hope the added specificity helps you understand the motivation for that member's suggestion to you. On the help boards, please try to limit your contributions to specific exercises and your questions about them. On the Odds & Ends board, anything within the forum's terms and rules is okay, but please be clear up front when a thread is meant for chit-chat.

I thank you for your honesty and suggestions.

Cheers!

?

However...

-Dan

Take a look at this thread, where you are asking about the sum of a rational number and an irrational number. How can you be at the level of the other (many) questions you have asked and not know that the sum of a rational plus irrational is irrational?

The question about rational plus irrational is simply asking for a background setting. I can easily search online for desired answers to "silly" questions but I wanted to read the comments of FMH members.

This question, though one that should be asked if you are uncertain, is IMHO so basic for your level as to be unbelievable that you would need to ask. The question implies that you need to return to study the basics of the number line!

No study of the number line needed. This is a math site. I thought ANYTHING regarding numbers, basic or advanced, is welcomed here. BTW, I am current reviewing college algebra not grade school math. For example, I know how to add fractions. What if I wanted to go deep, very deep into the study of fractions? I may ask about the numerator and denominator of fractions. This does not mean I am ignorant about fractions. It is just a MATH-ORIENTED question.

What is frustrating to me is that you need to study one topic, thoroughly, and then move to the next when you are ready.

What makes you and others think that I am some lunatic jumping around from fractions to calculus from calculus to matrix algebra from decimals to geometry, etc?

My advice is to you is to find a good text and work your way through it one section at a time instead of jumping around. Post some questions, get answers, and study them before you post more.

I am currently in section 5.1. After learning this section to a comfortable level and scoring 70 percent of the section test do I move on.

The questions posted are as follows:

A. Questions I do not understand.
B. Test questions I get wrong.
C. Even number questions. Most textbooks only have odd number answers in the back of the book.

Mathdad, your quotes are messed up in posts #9 and #10. (Even if you don't use the Preview button, the forum software still gives you 30 minutes to fix obvious errors.)

... I just felt that he was suggesting for me to abandon math ...
Either that statement is a gross exaggeration or you jumped to a wild conclusion when you read the suggestion!

... No more personal posts here. Every post will be strictly mathematics ...
No one has suggested that.

:confused:

Mathdad, your quotes are messed up in posts #9 and #10. (Even if you don't use the Preview button, the forum software still gives you 30 minutes to fix obvious errors.)

Either that statement is a gross exaggeration or you jumped to a wild conclusion when you read the suggestion!

No one has suggested that.

:confused:

Be advised that I use my cell phone and cell phone only for all my posts. I do not have a computer or laptop.

Be advised that I use my cell phone and cell phone only for all my posts. I do not have a computer or laptop.
Oh, I see. Mobile users are unable to edit their posts easily?

(I use a computer. I'm surprised to learn that all your typing has been done on a cell phone screen!)

?

No study of the number line needed. This is a math site. I thought ANYTHING regarding numbers, basic or advanced, is welcomed here. BTW, I am current reviewing college algebra not grade school math. For example, I know how to add fractions. What if I wanted to go deep, very deep into the study of fractions? I may ask about the numerator and denominator of fractions. This does not mean I am ignorant about fractions. It is just a MATH-ORIENTED question.
I am not suggesting you can't post these questions. But this is pretty much my point. If you are working on the College Algebra level you should already have mastered the rational/irrational thing. Also fractions. Also basic factoring. Also the quadratic formula. Also complex numbers. You have posted questions about all of these topics and more on various forums. My only conclusion has to be that you are working above your current abilities or that you need a dedicated tutor.

Just for consumption I do the same thing in my studies of Mathematics. I typically work beyond my level when I study the Math associated with QFT and String Theory. The difference is that I'm trying to master the Physics, which doesn't always use the full details of the various methods, and not the Mathematics. As long as I'm not trying to write any research papers I can usually get away with this. The price is that my less than perfect Math skills makes me miss a number of little details that could be useful later on. But that's a price I'm willing to pay for now. I can always go back later for the details after I get a fuller picture of what I'm trying to do.

You, however, are another story. You are trying to learn the Mathematics so you need to study the details of Math to get where you are going.

-Dan

Oh, I see. Mobile users are unable to edit their posts easily?

(I use a computer. I'm surprised to learn that all your typing has been done on a cell phone screen!)

?

Why startled? Not everyone has the same money situation going on.

I am not suggesting you can't post these questions. But this is pretty much my point. If you are working on the College Algebra level you should already have mastered the rational/irrational thing. Also fractions. Also basic factoring. Also the quadratic formula. Also complex numbers. You have posted questions about all of these topics and more on various forums. My only conclusion has to be that you are working above your current abilities or that you need a dedicated tutor.

Just for consumption I do the same thing in my studies of Mathematics. I typically work beyond my level when I study the Math associated with QFT and String Theory. The difference is that I'm trying to master the Physics, which doesn't always use the full details of the various methods, and not the Mathematics. As long as I'm not trying to write any research papers I can usually get away with this. The price is that my less than perfect Math skills makes me miss a number of little details that could be useful later on. But that's a price I'm willing to pay for now. I can always go back later for the details after I get a fuller picture of what I'm trying to do.

You, however, are another story. You are trying to learn the Mathematics so you need to study the details of Math to get where you are going.

-Dan

Please, be patient. The questions will get more interesting in the coming weeks and months. By the way, I am at the college algebra level. This is a review of a course I passed in the early 1990s.

Why startled? Not everyone has the same money situation going on.
Oh, my surprise wasn't about resources. It was about realizing how much patience I would need to peck out that copy using a phone screen -- plus formatting math expressions. Impressive! You must have the patience of Job.

?

I'm not really here to participate in Social Media. I will take on peripheral stuff in an effort to redirect toward the study of mathematics. Sometimes, it's just an effort to get it out of the way and get back to more mathematics. For me, a significant number of seemingly-unrelated posts from a single individual starts to feel like social media. If you want varied, academic responses to your math questions, a little more appearance of focus would encourage that.

I didn't write the message, either. :)

Oh, my surprise wasn't about resources. It was about realizing how much patience I would need to peck out that copy using a phone screen -- plus formatting math expressions. Impressive! You must have the patience of Job.

?
Quite frankly, I think Job's wife had the right of it.

It is a very sick story (though admittedly a great yarn).

Last edited: