Find Total Distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathdad

John took a drive to town at an average rate of 40 mph. In the evening, he drove back at 30 mph. If he spent a total of 7 hours traveling, what is the distance traveled by John?

Solution:

Round trip distance = D

Going rate = 40 mph
Returning rate = 30 mph

Going time = x
Returning time = 7 - x

40x = 30(7 - x)

My problem here is the TIME set up. I do not understand why x is the going time and (7 - x) the returning time. Is the solution provided dividing 7 into two parts? If so, what WORDS in the problem reveal this information?

My problem here is the TIME set up. I do not understand why x is the going time and (7 - x) the returning time. Is the solution provided dividing 7 into two parts? If so, what WORDS in the problem reveal this information?

No, that is immaterial. It's fine if x is the return time and (7 - x) is the start time.
Yes, it divides seven hours into two parts. The words that stand out to me are
"he spent a total of 7 hours traveling."

That is similar to the discussion I had on another thread with you about two numbers that added to 90, where one part could be x, and the other part could
then be (90 - x).

No, that is immaterial. It's fine if x is the return time and (7 - x) is the start time.
Yes, it divides seven hours into two parts. The words that stand out to me are
"he spent a total of 7 hours traveling."

That is similar to the discussion I had on another thread with you about two numbers that added to 90, where one part could be x, and the other part could
then be (90 - x).

Nicely explained.

40x = 30(7 - x)

40x = 210 - 30x

40x + 30x = 210

70x = 210

x = 210/70

x = 3

John traveled 3 total miles.

40x = 30(7 - x)

40x = 210 - 30x

40x + 30x = 210

70x = 210

x = 210/70

x = 3

John traveled 3 total miles.

You are using \(x\) to represent time, not distance. You have found that John took 3 hours to travel one way at 40 mph.

You are using \(x\) to represent time, not distance. You have found that John took 3 hours to travel one way at 40 mph.

Yes, I made a mistake.

Round trip distance = D

Going rate = 40 mph
Returning rate = 30 mph

Going time = x
Returning time = 7 - x

40x = 30(7 - x)

x = 3

40(3) = 120

Or

30(7 - 3)

30(4) = 120

D = 120 miles

You found the one way distance.

[MATH]D=40t+30(7-t)=10t+210[/MATH]
Now, given that:

[MATH]40t=30(7-t)\implies t=3[/MATH]
We find:

[MATH]D=10(3)+210=240[/MATH]

You found the one way distance.

[MATH]D=40t+30(7-t)=10t+210[/MATH]
Now, given that:

[MATH]40t=30(7-t)\implies t=3[/MATH]
We find:

[MATH]D=10(3)+210=240[/MATH]

Wow! I got it wrong. Amazing. Oh boy!!

And not or, what? English lessons now???
No, it's a math lesson.

In math, AND and OR are logical operators. In this exercise, there are two trips (one going; one returning).

AND means both.

OR means just one.

You were thinking OR (one trip's distance or the other), when you ought to have thought AND (both trips together).

?

No, it's a math lesson.

In math, AND and OR are logical operators. In this exercise, there are two trips (one going; one returning).

AND means both.

OR means just one.

You were thinking OR (one trip's distance or the other), when you ought to have thought AND (both trips together).

?

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.