Proof Tan 3x is = Sin 3x/ Cos 3x using De Moivre's theorem

updatesvc

i have been able to do the following
But I'm stuck in simplifying the equation
See my working below
[MATH]\cos3x+i\sin3x=\cos^3x+3i\cos^2x\sin x-3\cos x\sin^2x-i\sin^3x [/MATH]
[MATH] \begin{align} \sin3x&=3\cos^2x\sin x-\sin^3x \\[6px] \cos3x&=\cos^3x-3\cos x\sin^2x \\[12px] \tan3x&=\frac{3\cos^2x\sin x-\sin^3x}{\cos^3x-3\cos x\sin^2x} \end{align} [/MATH]
[MATH] \tan(3x)=\frac{3\tan(x)-\tan^3(x)}{1-3\tan^2(x)} [/MATH]

Last edited:
Look at your last two equations and try to match up the right hand sides. For example the 1in the last equation should (hopefully!!) match up with cos3x above. So what do you do to cos3x to get 1? Do the same to the entire numerator and the entire denominator!

It's not clear what the goal is. You seem to have used what you said you want to prove! And that is essentially a definition anyway.

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your work, as you didn't say in words what you are doing at each step.

Please state the wording of the assignment.

Look at your last two equations and try to match up the right hand sides. For example the 1in the last equation should (hopefully!!) match up with cos3x above. So what do you do to cos3x to get 1? Do the same to the entire numerator and the entire denominator!

You divide by [MATH]cos 3x[/MATH]
I'm guessing the last equation is the "actual" proof

I was expecting a [MATH]\frac {Sin 3x }{ Cos 3x}[/MATH]Which would be like proving De Moivre's theorem.

You divide by [MATH]cos 3x[/MATH]
I'm guessing the last equation is the "actual" proof

I was expecting a [MATH]\frac {Sin 3x }{ Cos 3x}[/MATH]Which would be like proving De Moivre's theorem.
No!, cos3x/cox 3x is NOT 1. You know this! cos3x/cos3x = 1!!

Just divide by cos3x