Trouble logging in

topsquark

The first time I log in I get the errror message:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.

I can reload the page and everything works fine. This has been happening for the last 3 or 4 days.

Thanks!

-Dan

I never log out, so I've not encountered that message here. I do get it on my local installation of XF if I try to submit a post after not having loaded a page there after several days. I don't go that long here without loading pages though.

I usually turn the computer off overnight. My last computer would start showing error messages if I didn't log off every day or two. I keep the habit up so I log out periodically to restart the computer.

-Dan

Oops! We ran into some problems.
Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.
I've never seen that message. You've tried clearing the browser's cache and the system's temporary files, yes? If you log in via a saved username and/or password, try resetting those, as well.

?

I've never seen that message. You've tried clearing the browser's cache and the system's temporary files, yes? If you log in via a saved username and/or password, try resetting those, as well.

?
Sounds like a good idea. (And, yes, I don't clear the cache all that often.)

-Dan

Cache cleared, history cleared, password memory wiped. I got the message again.

-Dan

… I got the message again.
Bummer. I'm out of ideas, other than registering a new account (to see whether it behaves the same). Otherwise, you can refresh the page as you've been doing and wait to see whether the issue resolves.

I'll send Ted a note. I've noticed the site becoming sluggish, again, beginning about a week ago. Sometimes, Ted will clear the server's cache and/or clear out bloated log files and that fixes something. (It's worth a shot.)

?

Bummer. I'm out of ideas, other than registering a new account (to see whether it behaves the same). Otherwise, you can refresh the page as you've been doing and wait to see whether the issue resolves.

I'll send Ted a note. I've noticed the site becoming sluggish, again, beginning about a week ago. Sometimes, Ted will clear the server's cache and/or clear out bloated log files and that fixes something. (It's worth a shot.)

?
Okay. I'm not going to worry about the new account , unless you want me to in order to test it. It's a small matter.

-Dan

See if it's all better now. I did the stuff mmm4444bot reminded me about, and it seems faster?

Shut down computer, restarted, cleared the cache etc. I still get the message.

-Dan

Dan,
I hate to tell you but you might be getting a polite message--> some people do not like Physicists

Dan,
I hate to tell you but you might be getting a polite message--> some people do not like Physicists
What? The Forum software has passed the Turing test and doesn't like me? Physicists get used to others not liking us. They're just jealous they can't be like us. Kind of like looking up at the Jolly Green Giant from the little sprout's height.
-Dan

Hey, I have a new and (probably related) comment: I'm still having the log in problem but now I'm also getting a log off problem: I hit the button to log off and the site just sits there. Apparently it logs off immediately but doesn't show that it did.

I'm having the log off problem over at MHF where they are installing a similar version of vBulletin that you have here. I don't know if that helps or not. Again, it's a minor thing.

-Dan

… they are installing a similar version of vBulletin that you have here …
Hi Dan. Ted got rid of vBulletin; the forum is running on XenForo, now.

When you say the site just sits there, do you seeing an orange, animated 'busy signal' across the top of the page?

When you have the time, please create a new user account, as a test. Cheers!

?

Wow, the site is seriously slow right now. Half the page loads time out, with Firefox reporting that the server is non-responsive.

:(

Hi Dan. Ted got rid of vBulletin; the forum is running on XenForo, now.
Whoops! Hey, until I get my morning coffee I still refer to Windows as DOS. ?

When you say the site just sits there, do you seeing an orange, animated 'busy signal' across the top of the page?

When you have the time, please create a new user account, as a test. Cheers!

?
The site simply stays like it was before I clicked the button. (The menu bar stays down and I get the little "X" up on the address bar.) I've tested it... the site does actually log me out, it just doesn't tell me that it has. The moment I refresh it shows that I've logged out.

I was going to get a new account and do that anyway, but decided it really didn't matter much. The new MHF upgrade has the same issue so I figure that if the system is having trouble on both sites a new membership probably won't change it.

I'll create a new throw-away account and get back soon.

Thanks!

-Dan

Hey, I have a new and (probably related) comment: I'm still having the log in problem but now I'm also getting a log off problem: I hit the button to log off and the site just sits there. Apparently it logs off immediately but doesn't show that it did.

I'm having the log off problem over at MHF where they are installing a similar version of vBulletin that you have here. I don't know if that helps or not. Again, it's a minor thing.

-Dan
I have the same exact problem! I try to log off and it does it I suppose immediately but doesn't show, it sits on the screen frozen I guess, If I hit account details once I've pressed log out it will redirect me to the login page though.

Update:

MHF is now working with similar software as here and I'm having the same issues there. Our newest Ad did some research and found that this is actually a Chrome problem, not a Forum software problem. Chrome knows about it but they apparently think it's too little a problem to bother with.

-Dan