I need help with a worded problem algebraic Question

#LionHeart34

Two rectangular plots of land are equal in area .The length of the first plot is one and half times it's width.The length of the second plot is 3 metres less than 15 times it's width.
Denoting the width of the first plot by x metres and the width of the second plot by y metres. Show that:
X^2 - 10y^2 + 2y =0

What I did was to draw the two plots and label them but I am not sure the method I should use to get
X^2 - 10y^2 + 2y =0 and what they mean by denoting the x and y

Last edited:
Write expressions showing how lengths depend on corresponding widths. Write expressions for areas. Since areas are the same you get an equation.

Two rectangular plots of land are equal in area .The length of the first plot is one and half times it's width[\quote]
Taking the width to be x, the length is "one and a half times" (or 3/2 times) x. The length is 3x/2 so the area is \(\displaystyle (3x/2)(x)= 3x^2/2\)

The length of the second plot is 3 metres less than 15 times it's width.
Taking the width to be y the length is 15y- 3 so the area is \(\displaystyle (15y- 3)y= 15y^2- 3y\).

Denoting the width of the first plot by x metres and the width of the second plot by y metres. Show that:
[/tex]x^2 - 10y^2 + 2y =0[/tex]
The two areas are equal so \(\displaystyle 3x^2/2= 15y^2- 3y\). Multiply both sides by two to get rid of that fraction: \(\displaystyle 3x^2= 30y^2- 6y\). Divide both sides by 3 to simplify: \(\displaystyle x^3= 10y^2- 2y\).

What I did was to draw the two plots and label them but I am not sure the method I should use to get
X^2 - 10y^2 + 2y =0 and what they mean by denoting the x and y
It means use the letters, "x" and "y", to represent the numerical values of the two widths. That's the basic concept in algebra.

Your question is very complicated. I can't understand it.....................

Last edited by a moderator: