My Journey With Mathematics

I didn't do a Math degree but I'm teaching myself some basic Topology (amongst other topics) and it's kicking my butt. When I went through I would have said that Linear Algebra was the worst, but now I think it's one of the easiest! (In the Physics curriculum the hardest was Statistical Thermodynamics but it's less of a problem now than Electromagnetism. For some reason I've developed a bit of a block when it comes to EM.)

-Dan

Former FMH and MHF tutor Soroban once told me that he took a course in Topology as a prerequisite for graduation . It was the hardest math course he had ever taken. Soroban taught math at the university level for 25 years.

He made it clear that theories in Topology are insanely hard to comprehend. Soroban is very smart and he struggled in this course. This is good enough for me to stay far away from this level of pure mathematics. I'll be very happy just to "master" applications at the high school level.

Former FMH and MHF tutor Soroban once told me that he took a course in Topology as a prerequisite for graduation . It was the hardest math course he had ever taken. Soroban taught math at the university level for 25 years.

He made it clear that theories in Topology are insanely hard to comprehend. Soroban is very smart and he struggled in this course. This is good enough for me to stay far away from this level of pure mathematics. I'll be very happy just to "master" applications at the high school level.
Try algebraic topology. Commutative Algebra was hard for me, very hard. What I knew/understood I had down well, but if it was 10% I would be surprised.

… I will break down most problems sentence by sentence to simply state what I think each sentence means …
My suggestion would be to post the entire exercise statement word-for-word, yes, but then identify only those sentences you find difficult to comprehend (versus explaining what you think the meaning of each sentence is). That is, focus on the statements that you feel unsure about or that prevent you from assigning symbols, forming expressions, writing equations …

?

My suggestion would be to post the entire exercise statement word-for-word, yes, but then identify only those sentences you find difficult to comprehend (versus explaining what you think the meaning of each sentence is). That is, focus on the statements that you feel unsure about or that prevent you from assigning symbols, forming expressions, writing equations …

?

Ok. Will do starting next week. Over 100 problems will be posted throughout 2020. The time has come to pay attention to detail.

I am not a basketball fan but would like to take this time to express how sad it is to see such a young person (age 41) and his 13 year old daughter leave this world after a helicopter crash. Nine people are dead physically and now in eternity somewhere only God knows. My condolences to Kobe's wife and family as they face horrific pain and depression.

We never know when our time on earth will end. I do not mean to upset anyone here by bringing religion into this post but I simply cannot say enough how important it is to be spiritually ready to leave this life. Death is coming for sure. Are you ready?

Love your family. Stay in touch with friends. Show love, respect and loyalty. Cherish each day, each hour, each minute, each second for in the twinkling of an eye, it is all gone. Praying for Kobe's family and friends and all the fans he left behind.

I am not a basketball fan but would like to take this time to express how sad it is to see such a young person (age 41) and his 13 year old daughter leave this world after a helicopter crash. Nine people are dead physically and now in eternity somewhere only God knows. My condolences to Kobe's wife and family as they face horrific pain and depression.

We never know when our time on earth will end. I do not mean to upset anyone here by bringing religion into this post but I simply cannot say enough how important it is to be spiritually ready to leave this life. Death is coming for sure. Are you ready?

Love your family. Stay in touch with friends. Show love, respect and loyalty. Cherish each day, each hour, each minute, each second for in the twinkling of an eye, it is all gone. Praying for Kobe's family and friends and all the fans he left behind.
We prefer not to ask/answer questions like:

Death is coming for sure. Are you ready?

in this forum. Please stay within the "bounds" of this forum.

We prefer not to ask/answer questions like:

Death is coming for sure. Are you ready?

in this forum. Please stay within the "bounds" of this forum.

Someone important just died. Kobe's daughter also died. I had to say what I said to open the eyes of the blind. Just when we think we know so much, we know nothing at all. Humility is very important. Come on, try it.

Someone important just died. Kobe's daughter also died. I had to say what I said to open the eyes of the blind. Just when we think we know so much, we know nothing at all. Humility is very important. Come on, try it.
Here we go again!!

Why are you so arrogant to think that others are blind?

There is a place and time for every action. This is not the place for your action. Go to FB or some other platform to preach.

You are cruising for another ban????

Here we go again!!

Why are you so arrogant to think that others are blind?

There is a place and time for every action. This is not the place for your action. Go to FB or some other platform to preach.

You are cruising for another ban????

The whole world is mourning the death of a legend. Are you so full of hate and anger against the One who created you, sir? Religion brings comfort to some people. What's wrong with that?

Look, let me make it clear and SUPER EASY, EASIER THAN MATH: Ignore, say it with me, ignore my threads. In fact, I beg you to place me on the ignored list. I will send you 5 dollars if you place me on this list.

I am not trying to convert anyone here to religion, any religion for that matter. It is a tragic day in the USA and I want THE WHOLE WORLD TO KNOW THAT I AM TOUCHED AND SADDENED BY KOBE'S DEATH and the death of the other passengers. A truly sad day, sir.

The whole world is mourning the death of a legend. Are you so full of hate and anger against the One who created you, sir? Religion brings comfort to some people. What's wrong with that?

Look, let me make it clear and SUPER EASY, EASIER THAN MATH: Ignore, say it with me, ignore my threads. In fact, I beg you to place me on the ignored list. I will send you 5 dollars if you place me on this list.

I am not trying to convert anyone here to religion, any religion for that matter. It is a tragic day in the USA and I want THE WHOLE WORLD TO KNOW THAT I AM TOUCHED AND SADDENED BY KOBE'S DEATH and the death of the other passengers. A truly sad day, sir.
Yes.... I do ignore your threads. However, other members complain.

What's the main difference between a B. S. in math and a B.A. in the math? Some CUNY schools offer one but not the other.

Why is abstract algebra also called modern algebra? What is the course about? The word "abstract" tells me that it is super hard. Am I wrong?

Opinions vary. Sometimes, there is little difference.

Type your question in an internet search. There are thousands of vague answers, in my view, demonstrating the squishiness of the answer.

Opinions vary. Sometimes, there is little difference.

Type your question in an internet search. There are thousands of vague answers, in my view, demonstrating the squishiness of the answer.

I think a B.S. is primarily pure math courses while the other degree is more a general knowledge of numbers.

I did a BA with a double major in mathematics and a major in economics. I did a BA rather than a B Sc because of the second major I wanted to do. If I had chosen to do B Sc, I could have done exactly the same maths subjects (many in my classes were enrolled in a B Sc) but my second major would have to have been in a science subject. That is in Australia, might be different elsewhere.

I think a B.S. is primarily pure math courses while the other degree is more a general knowledge of numbers.
harpazo, you have that exactly backward. Mathematics has very little to do with science but applied mathematics does. Like the-cat I did a double major in mathematics and philosophy. Also that way I avoided the dreaded DE course.

I did a BA with a double major in mathematics and a major in economics. I did a BA rather than a B Sc because of the second major I wanted to do. If I had chosen to do B Sc, I could have done exactly the same maths subjects (many in my classes were enrolled in a B Sc) but my second major would have to have been in a science subject. That is in Australia, might be different elsewhere.

It is different in CUNY.