How to count mean + SD of a group?

aiden99

Hello, i have doubt in counting mean of frequency and consumption of a food group.

For instance, fritters group consisted of french fries and sausages. I gather the frequency (how often they eat in a week) and consumption (portion in size) of that food. All data are presented as numeric data. If a person only eat french fries, i input the frequency and consumption of sausages as zero. If i want to know the mean of frequency and consumption from fritters group, should i add the average of french fries + average of sausages or how? thank you

1600530239431.png

Hello, i have doubt in counting mean of frequency and consumption of a food group.

For instance, fritters group consisted of french fries and sausages. I gather the frequency (how often they eat in a week) and consumption (portion in size) of that food. All data are presented as numeric data. If a person only eat french fries, i input the frequency and consumption of sausages as zero. If i want to know the mean of frequency and consumption from fritters group, should i add the average of french fries + average of sausages or how? thank you

View attachment 21773
I'd think you'd just ignore the difference between French fries and sausages, and just add the totals together -- not the averages -- and divide by the number of people.

I have to say, I've never thought of "fritters" as a "food group", or of French fries and sausages as "fritters".

i see, thank you for your reply. I mean it should be included in fried food i guess, thank you for your input