Simplifying radicals

Branys

Hi Everyone,

So Im new here, and Ive been out of high school for almost 13 years and recently joined economics university, where I have maths exam soon, but it looks like Im struggling with some basics.

I am working on my derivatives now, but before that I am struggling in simplifying before I can do that. Please find attached picture of my steps, where result I get is x^2, but according to the site it should be x-1/6.

I believe I used correct steps for simplifying root to fractions and dividing fractions with same base, but it looks like I did skip some rule :)

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Simplifying.jpg
    Simplifying.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
You were done at [math]x^2[/math], why did you keep going? Somehow, you should point out that [math]x \gt 0[/math]. That's not obvious from the final expression, but it's pretty clear in the original expression.

What was the original problem? What you did was fine, but perhaps you made an error earlier.

Hi Everyone,

So Im new here, and Ive been out of high school for almost 13 years and recently joined economics university, where I have maths exam soon, but it looks like Im struggling with some basics.

I am working on my derivatives now, but before that I am struggling in simplifying before I can do that. Please find attached picture of my steps, where result I get is x^2, but according to the site it should be x-1/6.

I believe I used correct steps for simplifying root to fractions and dividing fractions with same base, but it looks like I did skip some rule :)

Thank you in advance
1610498557364.png

I believe you misread (or they miswrote) the expression. It was really \(\frac{x\sqrt[3]{x}}{\sqrt{x^3}}\), not \(\frac{x^3\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x^3}}\)!

As I tell students, make sure you tuck that index in the crook of your arm so you don't drop it.

View attachment 24316

I believe you misread (or they miswrote) the expression. It was really \(\frac{x\sqrt[3]{x}}{\sqrt{x^3}}\), not \(\frac{x^3\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x^3}}\)!

As I tell students, make sure you tuck that index in the crook of your arm so you don't drop it.
Oh you are right there, I feel stupid now. But at least lesson learnt here :) Thank you!

Last edited: