Best option

ja5730

What option would save you the most money on, given 50 cents with 60% accuracy or 30 cents with 40% accuracy, what would be the best option.

Care to explain further what you mean by “accuracy.” Are you talking probabilities?

Yes, taking probability. I'm studying case interview questions and this one didn't make much sense to me.

That is because it does not make ANY sense.

The expected value of a 60% probability of 50 cents and a 40% probability of nothing is 30 cents. The expected value of a 40% probability of 30 cents and a 60% probability of nothing is 12 cents. But I have no clue what was intended by this question. It probably was made up by an HR person, who are usually the stupidest people in any company except for a small minority of the maintenance crew and security guards.

It probably was made up by an HR person, who are usually the stupidest people in any company except for a small minority of the maintenance crew and security guards.
Getting feisty here.

HR people are nice - I hope they do a good job at maintaining their pencils sharp ...

I don't want to speak evil of them - my pension might get cut into half. And it will be all your fault!!

Now maintenance people have to be smart - they have to change light bulbs. You know PhD engineers could not do that.

Thanks for the replies guys, as long as I know I'm not the only one that thought this question was odd. lol