Stuck on limits

Jacob

Can someone please explain to me what’s happening to the numerator which I highlighted? It’s from my lecture but I don’t understand how it becomes sinx sinx sinh- cosx cosh sinx .

Attachments

• prob.jpeg
    prob.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 7
I think it should be the other way around. That is, the negative of what you have.

I think it should be the other way around. That is, the negative of what you have.
^
Could you please elaborate more on what you mean by that? I know that the answer is -csc^2x but I want to know the working so it would be easier for me to master it but I'm stuck on the part that I highlighted. This is my first time dealing with cosecant, cotangent & secant

Last edited:
In the lecture, my lecturer said that this 2 parts (which I marked x) will be canceled out. That makes sense but it didn’t when the next step he wrote the numerator as sinx sinx sinh - cosx cosh sinx.

Did I get it right?

Attachments

• Prob..jpeg
    Prob..jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
Can someone please explain to me what’s happening to the numerator which I highlighted? It’s from my lecture but I don’t understand how it becomes sinx sinx sinh- cosx cosh sinx .
It does not! Do the algebra carefully!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the lecture, my lecturer said that this 2 parts (which I marked x) will be canceled out. That makes sense but it didn’t when the next step he wrote the numerator as sinx sinx sinh - cosx cosh sinx.

Did I get it right?
No - I think it should be:

sin(x) * sin(x) * sin(h) - cos(x) * sin(h) * cos(x) ....,edited

Check it again......

Last edited by a moderator:
No - I think it should be:

sin(x) * sin(x) * sinh(x) - cos(x) * cosh(x) * cos(x)

Check it again......
This is exactly what my lecturer got. But I’m confused about how he got it. Why it becomes multiply? what happened to the negative sign in front of -sinx.

prob1.jpeg

just writing the numerator of your attachment (Original)

sin(x) * [cos(x)*cos(h) - sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x) * [sin(x)*cos(h) + cos(x)*sin(h)] ..................................multiply and distribute

sin(x) * [cos(x)*cos(h)] - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x) * [sin(x)*cos(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)] .................. cancel appropriate terms

sin(x) * [cos(x)*cos(h)] - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x) * [sin(x)*cos(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)]

= - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)]

= -sin(h)

A little later I'll delete my previous responses.

just writing the numerator of your attachment (Original)

sin(x) * [cos(x)*cos(h) - sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x) * [sin(x)*cos(h) + cos(x)*sin(h)] ..................................multiply and distribute

sin(x) * [cos(x)*cos(h)] - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x) * [sin(x)*cos(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)] .................. cancel appropriate terms

sin(x) * [cos(x)*cos(h)] - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x) * [sin(x)*cos(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)]

= - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)]

= -sin(h)

A little later I'll delete my previous responses.
Thank you. It totally make sense right now

Now I hope you see that it is NOT sinx sinx sinh- cosx cosh sinx .........

Now I hope you see that it is NOT sinx sinx sinh- cosx cosh sinx .........
Yes finally, thanks to you. May I know how you get

= - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)] (This part right here become -sin(h)?

= -sin(h)

Yes finally, thanks to you. May I know how you get

= - sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)] (This part right here become -sin(h)?

= -sin(h)
- sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)]

= -sin(x)*sin(x)*sin(h) - cos(x) *cos(x)*sin(h)

= -sin2(x) * sin(h) - cos2(x) * sin(h)

= - [sin2(x) + cos2(x)] * sin(h)

= - [1] * sin(h)

= - sin(h)

Please work with pencil and paper instead of staring at the screen!!

- sin(x) * [sin(x)*sin(h)] - cos(x)*[cos(x)*sin(h)]

= -sin(x)*sin(x)*sin(h) - cos(x) *cos(x)*sin(h)

= -sin2(x) * sin(h) - cos2(x) * sin(h)

= - [sin2(x) + cos2(x)] * sin(h)

= - [1] * sin(h)

= - sin(h)

Please work with pencil and paper instead of staring at the screen!!
Sorry, I did work through the problem. But this part = - [sin2(x) + cos2(x)] * sin(h) I got -ve instead +ve. May i know how it is +ve

prob.jpeg