Related rate word problem

Joana

8D79270F-B8FD-4C55-894B-FB36C735453D.jpegHello :)) please help me with this question (this is a related rate word problem). I can’t find the connection between t and d to solve for t so I’m totally stuck.
Thanks in advance

View attachment 27399Hello :)) please help me with this question (this is a related rate word problem). I can’t find the connection between t and d to solve for t so I’m totally stuck.
Thanks in advance
Use:
x^2 + y^2 = d^2 ........................... differentiate and calculate \(\displaystyle \frac{d(d)}{dt}\)​

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Use:
x^2 + y^2 = d^2 ........................... differentiate and calculate \(\displaystyle \frac{d(d)}{dt}\)​

so I tried the derivatives on both sides which turned into: dd’=2xx’ + 2yy’. The x’, x and y’ are given but not the y, and I don’t know how to find y, thus d

Use:

And I don’t know how t = 0 with help me find y. So far I only think of the Pythagorean theorem

After [MATH]21[/MATH] minutes and [MATH]26[/MATH] seconds.

Can you figure out why this is the time?

Write down an expression (in terms of t) for x, the distance from the shore after t hours. (Using the initial distance and the speed of the boat).

Write down an expression (in terms of t) for y, the vertical height of the helicopter above the ground after t hours. (Using the speed of the helicopter).

Then the square of the distance, [MATH]d^2[/MATH], will just be [MATH]x^2 + y^2[/MATH]
Using the expressions (in terms of t) which you wrote down for x and y, write down an expression (in terms of t) for the square of the distance: [MATH]x^2 + y^2[/MATH]
You can minimise this by differentiating the expression for the square of the distance (with respect to t) and setting that equal to 0.

The time you get from this (linear) equation, is the time (in hours) when the distance is minimum.

To find the distance, just substitute that value of t back into the expression for the distance squared, and then square root that answer, to get the distance (in km).

Write down an expression (in terms of t) for x, the distance from the shore after t hours. (Using the initial distance and the speed of the boat).

Write down an expression (in terms of t) for y, the vertical height of the helicopter above the ground after t hours. (Using the speed of the helicopter).

Then the square of the distance, [MATH]d^2[/MATH], will just be [MATH]x^2 + y^2[/MATH]
Using the expressions (in terms of t) which you wrote down for x and y, write down an expression (in terms of t) for the square of the distance: [MATH]x^2 + y^2[/MATH]
You can minimise this by differentiating the expression for the square of the distance (with respect to t) and setting that equal to 0.

The time you get from this (linear) equation, is the time (in hours) when the distance is minimum.

To find the distance, just substitute that value of t back into the expression for the distance squared, and then square root that answer, to get the distance (in km).
lex, I don’t think that this is the correct approach to solve the problem.

Prove me wrong by getting different time than what I got.

I know that you are professional, but sometimes similar problems tricks the brain.

What do you believe the error to be?
My brain is often tricked.
Try to solve it by your merhod. If you get a different time than mine then yours is not a minimum distance. I tried to use your method and got a different time. I thought that I might have done a mistake in setting the equations.

Do it and let me see.

I don't follow the logic.
What do you believe is the error in my method?
There may be no error if I set the equations wrong. But if we assume I had the correct equations, my time gives me a shorter distance than yours.

Yes, but that's the question.
We discover who (if either) is right by examining the methods. If you can't point to an error in my method, then post your method and I'll see if I can see an error in it.

Yes, but that's the question.
We discover who (if either) is right by examining the methods. If you can't point to an error in my method, then post your method and I'll see if I can see an error in it.
The minimum distance will happen when [MATH]\theta = 45^{o}[/MATH]
This will happen when

[MATH]y = x[/MATH]
or

[MATH]tV_h = 25 - tV_v[/MATH]
Solving for [MATH]t[/MATH] gives

[MATH]21[/MATH] min and [MATH]26[/MATH] s

There is no reason to believe the minimum distance would happen at an angle of 45º. (In fact it happens at an angle less than 45º).
Why would you assert that?
because if the two sides of the triangle have different lengths, it is logical that the hypotenuse will be longer.

because if the two sides of the triangle have different lengths, it is logical that the hypotenuse will be longer.
I'm afraid it's not logical. The length of the hypotenuse depends on the sum of the squares of the other 2 sides, not on the sizes of the other 2 sides relative to each other.
E.g. when the two sides are the same, then they are both 100/7, giving a hypotenuse of 20.2 to 1d.p.
When the horizontal is 16 and the vertical is 12, the hypotenuse is 20.
(You seem to be assuming that the sum of the two lengths is constant, which it clearly is not).

View attachment 27399Hello :)) please help me with this question (this is a related rate word problem). I can’t find the connection between t and d to solve for t so I’m totally stuck.
Thanks in advance
dx/dt = - 30 and dy/dt = 40

x = 25 - 30*t

y = 40*t ← y = 0 at t=0

d2 = (25-30*t)2 + 1600 *t2 = 2500*t^2 - 1500*t + 625

d = √(2500*t^2 - 1500*t + 625) → d(d)/dt = 0 @ t = 3/10 hrs = 18 min → d(0.3) = dmin= 20 km

d(21m26s) = 20.20361 km ← not minimum

The minimum distance will happen when [MATH]\theta = 45^{o}[/MATH]
This will happen when

[MATH]y = x[/MATH]
or

[MATH]tV_h = 25 - tV_v[/MATH]
Solving for [MATH]t[/MATH] gives

[MATH]21[/MATH] min and [MATH]26[/MATH] s
That would be true if |dy/dt| and |dx/dt| were equal.

@Joana
I'm sorry this thread became very confusing.
Going back to my post #6

[MATH]\boldsymbol{x=25-30t}[/MATH]Write down an expression (in terms of t) for y, the vertical height of the helicopter above the ground after t hours. (Using the speed of the helicopter).
[MATH]\boldsymbol{y=40t}[/MATH]Then the square of the distance, [MATH]\boldsymbol{D^2}[/MATH], will just be [MATH]\boldsymbol{x^2 + y^2}[/MATH]
Using the expressions (in terms of t) which you wrote down for x and y, write down an expression (in terms of t) for the square of the distance: [MATH]\boldsymbol{D^2=x^2 + y^2}[/MATH][MATH]\boldsymbol{D^2=(25-30t)^2+(40t)^2}[/MATH]You can minimise this by differentiating the expression for the square of the distance (with respect to t) and setting that equal to 0.
[MATH]\boldsymbol{\frac{d}{dt} D^2 = 2(-30)(25-30t)+2(40)(40t)=0\\ -1500+1800t+3200t=0\\ t=0.3}[/MATH]

[MATH]\boldsymbol{D^2=(25-30\times0.3)^2+(40\times0.3)^2\\ D^2=400\\ D=20}[/MATH]
Minimum distance is when t=0.3 hours (i.e. 18 mins) and minimum distance = 20km (know it is min, because 2nd derivative of distance squared is positive).

(b)
At t=0.3 x=16, y=12

[MATH]\tan \theta = \frac{y}{x}[/MATH]At t=0 [MATH]\tan\theta =\frac{3}{4}[/MATH]
[MATH]x=25-30t\\ y=40t\\ \frac{dx}{dt}=-30\\ \frac{dy}{dt}=40\\ \text{ }\\ \tan \theta = \frac{y}{x}\\ \therefore \sec^2 \theta \frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{x\frac{dy}{dt}-y\frac{dx}{dt}}{x^2}\\ (1+\tan^2 \theta)\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{x\frac{dy}{dt}-y\frac{dx}{dt}}{x^2}\\[/MATH]
At t=0.3
[MATH]\left(1+\left(\tfrac{3}{4}\right)^2 \right) \frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{16(40)-12(-30)}{16^2}\\ \frac{25}{16}\frac{d \theta}{dt}=\frac{125}{32}\\ \frac{d \theta}{dt}=\frac{5}{2} \text{ (rad/h)}[/MATH]

Brilliant lex. AS ALWAYS!

This extra information [MATH]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/MATH] is very important in many problems.

It did not come in my mind, we can also extract the rate of change of angle.

Thanks for showing all the work above. I hope that the OP now got the answer (idea) he/she needs, and can solve similar problems easily.