T & W q12

So the equation is: (assuming correct work)

I would suggest - you start with a clean slate and start over.
C is time taken by pipe B to fill 1/3 of tank . Pipe B was kept open for half the time which is ( A/2 hrs ) required by pipe A to fill the tank by itself Wb * A/2 = filled some amount of tank pipe A was kept open for as much time as was required by the pipe B to fill up 1/3 of the tank by itself. Yeah so Wa * C hrs= Filled Some Amount of tank

Wa ( Per hr work by pipe A ) = 1/ A
Wb ( Per hr work by pipe B ) = 1/B

1.2(1/A + 1/B) = 1 /2
1.2 ( A + B ) = AB / 2
AB= 2.4 ( A+ B )

Wb * A/2 = kept open

Wb * C hrs = 1/ 3

Wa * C = kept open

Wb * A/2 + Wa * C = 5/6

1/3c * A/2 + C/A = 5/6

A/ 6c + C/A = 5/6

3A^2 + 2 B ^2 = 5AB

the two equations you have in A and B only
3A^2 + 2 B ^2 = 5AB
AB = 2.4 ( A+ B)

A * B = 2.4 * (A + B)

A = 2.4 * B / (B - 2.4)

How this step was achieved ?

3A^2 + 2 B ^2 = 5AB

AB = 2.4 ( A+ B )
The trick I used that made things easier was to divide the first equation by A^2, leading to 2(B/A)^2 - 5(B/A) + 3 = 0, from which you can get a simple equation (actually two alternative equations) relating B to A.

A * B = 2.4 * (A + B)

A = 2.4 * B / (B - 2.4)

How this step was achieved ?
How can you be doing any sort of interesting algebra and need to ask this? At the very least, you should be showing an attempt and asking what to do at the point where you are confused.

We want to solve for A, so we distribute, collect terms with A on one side, factor out A, and divide. This is a standard procedure.

The trick I used that made things easier was to divide the first equation by A^2, leading to 2(B/A)^2 - 5(B/A) + 3 = 0,
I got 2 Values of B/A= 1 . 5 or 1 as B= A is not possible .

B= 1.5 A

Wa * A =1
Wa * B/ 1.5 =1

Wb * B =1

Then

Why do you keep going back to other variables? We're trying to solve a system of two equations in two unknowns. Do that!

So, replace B in the other equation with 1.5 A.

But, why can't A = B?