I need help with order of operation

Hello. Is this part of your homework? Are you self-studying? Are you trying to help your child? Please explain the situation and tell us what you already know about Order of Operations. Thank you.

Is the following correct?

\(\displaystyle 3^4 + \frac{3 - \sqrt{121}}{4 × 2}\)

3^4 + (3 - sqrt(121)) / (4*2)

I need help with order of operation
Hi Ladydi. What kind of help do you need? Have you seen any lessons or examples about Order of Operations?

We evaluate inside grouping symbols first. A radical sign is a grouping symbol. A fraction bar is a grouping symbol.

Therefore, start in the numerator.

What is √121

What is 3 - √121

:)

I'm trying to help my grandson understand this math problem
Hello again. I'd missed your post above because it was waiting in queue when I'd replied.

Have you shown your grandson my questions?

Also, does your grandson have a textbook?

If he needs more instruction, we can help find online lessons for Order of Operations. Otherwise, we can continue going through the evaluation steps with the exercise above.

PS: Your grandson is welcome to communicate with us directly, too.

:)

3to 4th power plus(3-the square root of 121)divided 4x2
Ye so here. You need to think order of operations BIDMAS.

The issue with this problem is that the within both the numerator and denominator we do not know what we are diving by or diving into. Therefore the first step is to be clear on what the numerator and denominator are.

Thus put brackets around these. This is the most important step to start.
3^4 + (3-sqrt(121))/(4x2)
Now we do whatever is in the brackets first.
3^4+(3-11)/(8)
3^4+(-8)/(8)
3^4+ -8/8
Now using bidmas we do the indicies first.
81 + -1
81-1 = 80

The issue with this problem is that the within both the numerator and denominator we do not know what we are diving by or diving into. Therefore the first step is to be clear on what the numerator and denominator are.
I liked very much what you said above! You can't divide until you know what you are dividing. That is how I say.
On another note, we like to give hints to students so they can figure the solution on their own. That is, we try not to show complete solution.

I liked very much what you said above! You can't divide until you know what you are dividing. That is how I say.
On another note, we like to give hints to students so they can figure the solution on their own. That is, we try not to show complete solution
I see. This person was a parent / grandparent that is why I gave the answer with steps. I will take this into account next time though. :)

I see. This person was a parent / grandparent that is why I gave the answer with steps. I will take this into account next time though. :)

You responded to a thread that had been inactive for two and a half months. You should have left the thread alone.

I am sure it is not an issue.

I am sure you will try not do it again, because you are to address recent threads
and/or start new ones of your own. Otis left the matter as a prompt, and the OP
decided not to respond after all that time. So, don't address the OP to make a
post about which has long ago been abandoned.

Last edited: