∫ 1/(3x - 1)dx

burgerandcheese

The answer is ln(|3x - 1|) /3 + c, but if we know ∫ 1/x dx = ln(|x|) + c, why don't we straight away apply the formula to get ∫ 1/(3x - 1)dx = ln(|3x - 1|) + c ?

If you want to see my working, my initial approach to this problem was by applying the rule "∫ g(ax + b)dx = f(ax + b) /a + c f(x) is the simplest integral of g(x)" and

So g(x) = 1/x, then f(x) = ∫ g(x)dx = ln (|x|)
∫ 1/(3x - 1)dx = ln(|3x - 1|) /3 + c

Have you learned how to do integration by substitution?

Your "rule" is just a special case of that, using the substitution u = ax + b; it can be verified by differentiating the RHS using the chain rule.

Your wrong answer comes from naive "substitution", disregarding how substitution actually works.

Have you learned how to do integration by substitution?

Your "rule" is just a special case of that, using the substitution u = ax + b; it can be verified by differentiating the RHS using the chain rule.

Your wrong answer comes from naive "substitution", disregarding how substitution actually works.

No I don't think I've learned integration by substitution

I think I get it. I don't know how to explain what's in my mind but the x in 1/x is not the same as 3x - 1 because x is a variable. Is my logic correct?

The answer is ln(|3x - 1|) /3 + c, but if we know ∫ 1/x dx = ln(|x|) + c, why don't we straight away apply the formula to get ∫ 1/(3x - 1)dx = ln(|3x - 1|) + c ?
No I don't think I've learned integration by substitution. I don't know how to explain what's in my mind but the x in 1/x is not the same as 3x - 1 because x is a variable. Is my logic correct?
Here is my answer to your first post.
Consider these two functions: i) \(\displaystyle g(x)=\ln(|3x-1|)\) ii) \(\displaystyle h(x)=\frac{\ln(|3x-1|)}{3}\).
Please find each of these derivatives: i) \(\displaystyle g'(x)=~?\) i) \(\displaystyle h'(x)=~?\)

You may well wonder about the derivative of \(\displaystyle \ln(|x|)\).
\(\displaystyle \ln(|x|)=\begin{cases}\ln(x) &: x>0 \\ \ln(-x) &: x<0\end{cases}\;\;\text{Please note }x\ne 0.\)____________\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left\{\ln(|x|)\right\}=\)\(\displaystyle \begin{cases}\dfrac{1}{x} &: x>0 \\ \dfrac{-1}{-x}=\dfrac{1}{x} &: x<0\end{cases} \)

If you want to see my working, my initial approach to this problem was by applying the rule "∫ g(ax + b)dx = f(ax + b) /a + c f(x) is the simplest integral of g(x)" and

So g(x) = 1/x, then f(x) = ∫ g(x)dx = ln (|x|)
∫ 1/(3x - 1)dx = ln(|3x - 1|) /3 + c
You let g(x) = (3x-1). THEN g'(x) = 3 or dx = g'(x)dx/3. That is where you lost the /3.
Most students are taught to write u instead of g(x), so u = 3x-1 and du = 3dx or dx = du/3. Substutite this into your original integral and then factor out the 1/3. Then all will work out.

Here is my answer to your first post.
Consider these two functions: i) \(\displaystyle g(x)=\ln(|3x-1|)\) ii) \(\displaystyle h(x)=\frac{\ln(|3x-1|)}{3}\).
Please find each of these derivatives: i) \(\displaystyle g'(x)=~?\) i) \(\displaystyle h'(x)=~?\)

You may well wonder about the derivative of \(\displaystyle \ln(|x|)\).
\(\displaystyle \ln(|x|)=\begin{cases}\ln(x) &: x>0 \\ \ln(-x) &: x<0\end{cases}\;\;\text{Please note }x\ne 0.\)____________\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left\{\ln(|x|)\right\}=\)\(\displaystyle \begin{cases}\dfrac{1}{x} &: x>0 \\ \dfrac{-1}{-x}=\dfrac{1}{x} &: x<0\end{cases} \)

Thank you. I got g'(x) = 3/(3x - 1) and h'(x) = 1/(3x - 1)

I wanted to use d/dx ln(|x|) = 1/x but I didn't know how to so I split it into two cases for x < 0 and x > 0. But now I know I had to let u = 3x - 1 and not u = |3x - 1|

d dx g(x).jpgd dx h(x).jpg

CORRECT! Good for you, way to go.

Now which of those answers \(\displaystyle \int {\frac{{dx}}{{3x - 1}} = ?} \)

certainly ln(|3x - 1|)/3 ?

You let g(x) = (3x-1). THEN g'(x) = 3 or dx = g'(x)dx/3. That is where you lost the /3.
Most students are taught to write u instead of g(x), so u = 3x-1 and du = 3dx or dx = du/3. Substutite this into your original integral and then factor out the 1/3. Then all will work out.

Wow! I don't think I've learnt this yet