3 main ingredients ratio word problem

dissolvedgirl

Hello, I'm new here and need some clarification on how to start solving this ratio word problem. My textbook only provides the final answer and I would really like to understand the process, I feel like I am missing something really simple here...

The question states: "A manufacturer uses three main ingredients to make polish. These ingredients are melted wax, water and white spirits and they are used in the ratio 3/4:1(1/2):5/6. How many litres of each ingredient must be used in order to make 50 litres of polish? (give your answer correct to 2 decimal places."

I've converted those ratios to fractions (9/12:18/12:10/12, but that's where I get stuck, not sure if I am following the correct process. The final answers are 12.16L wax, 24.32L water, 13.51L white spirits.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, and welcome to FMH! :)

To make things simple, I would multiply through by 12 to state the ratio as follows:

[MATH]9:18:10[/MATH]
And so, what would be the fraction of the total, of each ingredient?

That adds up to 37. My textbook has a very convoluted way of explaining things...

I see it now, hah! so then to obtain the answer, one multiplies each part (ie. 9/37) by 50.

Thanks!

Last edited: