5th grade fractions

Fooba

If you read 5 1/2 magazines in 1 1/4 hour, how many magazines can you read in one hour?

I'm trying to help my daughter solve this but is this a two step problem to solve? What are the two steps? I'm confused on this one.

I know the answer, just trying to teach her the proper steps.

If you read 5 1/2 magazines in 1 1/4 hour, how many magazines can you read in one hour?

I'm trying to help my daughter solve this but is this a two step problem to solve? What are the two steps? I'm confused on this one.

I know the answer, just trying to teach her the proper steps.

I personally do not see two steps - other than making improper fractions and dividing.

In 1 1/4 hrs 5 1/2 magazines are read → In 5/4 hrs 11/2 magazines are read → In 1 hr (11/2 ÷ 5/4 = 22/5 =) 4 2/5 magazines are read

You are asking "how many magazines per hour"- divide the number of magazines by the number of hours.

Divide 5 and 1/2 by 1 and 1/4. That is 11/2 divided by 5/4 which is the same as 11/2 times 4/5.

Step 1: Change Word Problem into a math expression

If you read 5 1/2 magazines in 1 1/4 hour,
How many magazines can you read in one hour?
This is same as
magazines per hour.

mph = m/time

If this was about a foot race where you run
5 1/2 miles in 1 1/4 hour.
You would simply divide.

Step 2: Solve the expression

IMPORTANT: Mixed fractions must be written with + sign

StepWorkReason
Answer = (5 + 1/2) ÷ (1+1/4)given
#1Answer = (5 + 1/2)(1/(1+1/4) )definition of division eg. a/b = a (1/b)
#24(1+1/4) Answer = (2*2)(5 + 1/2)multiply both sides by 4(1+1/4)
#3(4+4(1/4)) Answer = (20+2*2(1/2))distribution of multiplication across addition
#4( 4 + 1 ) Answer = (20 + 2)definition of multiplicative inverse
#55 Answer = 22addition
#65 (1/5) Answer = 22 (1/5)multiply by multiplicative inverse of 5
#7Answer = 22/5definition of division
#8Answer = 4+2/5write as mixed fraction

Last edited:
Hi Fooba

Welcome to the Free Math Help Forum,

This is your first posting?
I am new to this site also. Forgive my response (above) it is far more detail than I expect you wanted.
I was testing the editing features and got carried away:)

This is a Forum (like a conversation). You show what you are working on, and where we might help.
We get you going again .. its that simple. Then you answer back so that we know that we helped. Often, you will progress and get stuck again. That's ok. Its not uncommon for several passes between us, a conversation.

Your question was: What are the two steps?

I believe the two steps being referred to, are...
Step 1: Change the word problem into a math expression.
Step 2: Solve the math expression.

In my previous post I went on to give you an approach that you didn't ask for. You need to use an approach consistent with your daughter's needs. If you get stuck -- show us your approach and where you are stuck and we'll try to help, Thank you for the conversation.

Fooba, by the way

The detailed response may not be appropriate for your daughter, but I would not have written it if there were not a lot of good stuff in it. If you find it interesting (for you) don't hesitate to ask anything that sparks YOUR curiosity in this thread.