Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Graph: Y=2x-7

  1. #1

    Graph: Y=2x-7

    I do not know where to start

  2. #2

    Graph Y=2x-7

    The easiest way to do this question is to substitute values for x and that will give you y.

    Example: If x =1 Y= 2(1)-7 = -5 If x = 2 Y=-3 etc.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by EORTIZ40 View Post
    I do not know where to start
    I think my way is actually easier.
    -7 is the X-intercept
    2X is the slope
    Make a point at (-7,0)
    The slope is 2/1 and it's positive so you go up 2 and right 1
    Make a line

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11
    1. Find the domain
    2. Find the intercepts by x=0, so y=-7 and vice versa y=0 x=7/2
    3. Symmetry (even/odd function) f(-x)
    4. Asymptotes
    - vertical (find a value that provides non 0 in the numerator and 0 in denominator)
    - horizontal (limit as x tend to +/- infinity)
    - oblique (by long division, if appropriate)
    And be aware that polynomial functions don't have asymptotes!!
    5. Increasing/decreasing intervals, max/min and critical points by finding the first derivative
    6. Concavity, point of inflection (if occur) by finding the second derivative
    7. Sketch the graph by plotting all the points

  5. #5
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpy View Post
    1. Find the domain
    2. Find the intercepts by x=0, so y=-7 and vice versa y=0 x=7/2
    3. Symmetry (even/odd function) f(-x)
    4. Asymptotes
    - vertical (find a value that provides non 0 in the numerator and 0 in denominator)
    - horizontal (limit as x tend to +/- infinity)
    - oblique (by long division, if appropriate)
    And be aware that polynomial functions don't have asymptotes!!
    5. Increasing/decreasing intervals, max/min and critical points by finding the first derivative
    6. Concavity, point of inflection (if occur) by finding the second derivative
    7. Sketch the graph by plotting all the points
    Scorpy, I understand you wanting to help, but someone that asks how to graph y=2x-7 is not going to understand all the info you mention above.

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    16,573
    Quote Originally Posted by EORTIZ40 View Post
    Graph: Y=2x-7
    I do not know where to start
    If you don't understand that point (0, -7) is obvious,
    then you need classroom help; do you skip math classes?

    Can you solve 2x - 7 = 0 for x?
    I'm just an imagination of your figment !

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CO, USA
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Semo View Post
    I think my way is actually easier.
    -7 is the X-intercept
    2X is the slope
    Make a point at (-7,0)
    The slope is 2/1 and it's positive so you go up 2 and right 1
    Make a line
    I understand your desire to help, Semo....but what you have said here is quite simply incorrect, and will probably only serve to confuse the original poster.

    Please review the "slope-intercept form" for the equation of a line. The "intercept" in that equation is the y-intercept, not the x-intercept.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •