7th grade Pre-Algebra

twinkieha2

I'm a 53 yr. old Grandmother trying to help my Grand daughter, Allyssa, who is struggling with this. I have a question, it reads: Open ended - Write two equivalent inequalities for the phrase: 1.) All real numbers greater than 19. (2.) ALL REAL NUMBERS LESS THAN -7.
I'm trying really hard to re-acquaint myself with this stuff, but am having a great deal of trouble...it's really frustrating as I used to be a straight "A" student! Now I don't even have a clue as to how to address this problem! I just found out last week that Allyssa, is having problems, and I just started working at the beginning of the book - trying to get SOME sort of grasp of what I'm trying to help with. Unfortunately, I didn't even make it out of the first chapter today! I need some help with the stuff that they are working on TODAY, until I can manage to get my dusty old brain functioning in Algebra once again!! Could someone PLEASE HELP ME??!!??!! :shock:

Hi,

The question is strangely worded - doesn't it just mean x>19 and x-19>0 as the two equivalent ways?
And x<-7 and x+7<0 for the other one?

twinkieha2 said:
Write two equivalent inequalities for the phrase:
1.) All real numbers greater than 19. (2.) ALL REAL NUMBERS LESS THAN -7.
Agree with qso: that's quite an unclear "statement"...

Perhaps the teacher means:
Write an equivalent inequality for each of these phrases:
1.) All real numbers greater than 19. (2.) ALL REAL NUMBERS LESS THAN -7.

SO:
1) n > 19 ; same as n - 19 > 0

2) n < -7 ; same as n + 7 < 0

By the way, in case you forgot, > means "greater than" and < means "lesser than".

Thank you EVER SO MUCH!!!I really am grateful for the assist...I guess it was the way it was worded that made it seem so impossible to bend my brain around, as the answers were quite simple! By the way...it always was the EASY STUFF that would trip me up!
Thanks again for your replies...I'm sure that I'll be back AGAIN!!
[b
[/b]
twinkieha2 :D