A club as 30 members including 3 lawyers,4 teachers and 5 docters.In how many ways can a committee of 8 be formed to contain 1 teacher,2 lawyers,and 2

Zai47olali

A club as 30 members including 3 lawyers,4 teachers and 5 docters.In how many ways can a committee of 8 be formed to contain 1 teacher,2 lawyers,and 2 docters?

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
What help do you need? Be sure to read this.

Assuming the question requires exactly 1 teacher, 2 lawyers, and 2 doctors (not at least ...), you need to count the number of ways to choose 1 of the 4 teachers, 2 of the 3 lawyers, 2 of the 5 doctors, and 3 of the 18 others. Do you know how to do that (combinations)?

pka

Elite Member
Please read to posting guidelines. Then follow them by posting the work you have done.
SEE HERE for a tool that may help you.

Jomo

Elite Member
What help do you need? Be sure to read this.

Assuming the question requires exactly 1 teacher, 2 lawyers, and 2 doctors (not at least ...), you need to count the number of ways to choose 1 of the 4 teachers, 2 of the 3 lawyers, 2 of the 5 doctors, and 3 of the 18 others. Do you know how to do that (combinations)?
Dr P, if it were at least would the solution be the number of ways to choose 1 of the 4 teachers, 2 of the 3 lawyers, 2 of the 5 doctors, and 3 of the remaining 25? I'm thinking that making looking at all of the possible cases would be necessary to solve this?

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Beyond mentioning the possibility of "at least" (and shuddering), I gave zero thought to it, because I think it would be a horrendous inclusion-exclusion process, or else just a huge summation. But real combinatorists (is that the word?) might have a better way ... or they might just use a computer.