A coffee merchant....

igor_iv837

A coffee merchant wants to make 6 lbs of a blend...

A coffee merchant wants to make 6 lb of a blend of coffee costing $5 per pound. The blend is made using a $6 per pound grade and a $3 per pound grade of coffee. How many pounds of each of these grades should be used?
I wrote it as

$6 grade x
$3 grade 6-x
$5blend 6 6x+3(6-x)=5(6) .....One thing I dont get where did they got 6 - x?? Where did the minus x came from???

A coffee merchant wants to make 6 lb of a blend of coffee costing $5 per pound. The blend is made using a $6 per pound grade and a $3 per pound grade of coffee. How many pounds of each of these grades should be used?
I wrote it as

$6 grade x
$3 grade 6-x
$5blend 6 6x+3(6-x)=5(6) .....One thing I dont get where did they got 6 - x?? Where did the minus x came from???

Symbolic reasoning ...

Hello Igor:

6 - x is an expression that stands for the number of pounds of $3-per-pound coffee that is going into the mixture.

Here is how they got it.

X is the number of pounds of one type of coffee needed for the mixture

Y is the number of pounds of the other type of coffee needed for the mixture.

The total weight after mixing these two types of coffee together is 6 pounds.

X + Y = 6

Subtract X from both sides to see what Y equals.

Y = 6 - X

Oh, look! The symbol Y is equal to the expression 6 - X

So, we can write 6 - X instead of writing Y.

(And that's a good thing, too, because if you use Y instead of 6 - X for that $3-per-pound coffee then you will have two different symbols in your equation and you'll be stuck.)

~ Mark :)

PS: I asked you NOT to post the same question in multiple locations. (You are not paying attention.) Please stop.

DUPLICATE POST (AGAIN)

Igor, do you remember that I asked you before to stop posting the same question in multiple locations?

Please pay attention.

~ Mark :|

THIS DISCUSSION IS TAKING PLACE AT ANOTHER LOCATION.

Click HERE to be taken THERE

Re: A coffee merchant wants to make 6 lbs of a blend...

WHY DOES 6-X is EQUAL TO Y???? HOW are THEY EQUAL?? that' DOESN"T MAKE SENSE

igor_iv837 said:
WHY DOES 6-X is EQUAL TO Y???? HOW are THEY EQUAL?? that' DOESN"T MAKE SENSE
Enough is enough, Igor...if we make no sense here, then find a site that makes sense.

This was explained to you before:
if there are a total of 10 apples and X has 3, then Y has 10 - 3 = 7, which is same as Y = 10 - X.
If you can't grasp something so basic, then only a personal tutor can help you.

igor_iv837 said:
WHY DOES 6-X is EQUAL TO Y ... that' DOESN"T MAKE SENSE

Hello Igor:

Unless you can explain to me WHY it does not make sense to you, I cannot help you further.

You continually tell us that things don't make sense, but you don't explain WHY.

I'm tired of guessing ...

WE EACH HAVE $3 in our pocket.

I take one of your dollars away from you and put it into my pocket.

You now have 3 - 1 dollars, and I now have 3 + 1 dollars.

(I hope that this much is clear to you.)

NOW WHAT IF I TAKE X DOLLARS INSTEAD?

You now have 3 - x dollars.

I now have 3 + x dollars.

If you cannot understand why the expression 3 + x represents the amount of money in my pocket, then you need to speak with your teacher.

If you cannot understand why the expression 6 - x represents the weight of the coffee that costs $3-per-pound, then you need to speak with your teacher.

I cannot help you understand this over the Internet unless you explain to my WHY you do not understand.

~ Mark :)