a girl painted a rectangular-shaped portrait which is .......

eddy2017

Elite Member
hi, i thought this was easy. now i am wondering if i am missing something here.

a girl painted a rectangular-shaped portrait which is 10 inches long and 8 inches wide. if she trimmed 2/1/2 inches on both sides of the width and 2 inches on one side of the length, what would be the resulting area?
okay,
A=l*w
A=10 in*8 in
A=80in^2
she trimmed 2.5 of both wide sides
and 2 inches off of only one side of the length.
so both sides would be 5.5 in now
and one length would be 8
is the new area 44 in^2?.
i am in doubt here,
thanks,
eddy

… i am wondering if i am missing something here …
Hi Eddy. Did you miss that 2 and 1/2 inches is trimmed from both sides of the width? (I've assumed that your 2/1/2 notation is intended to mean the mixed number 2 and 1/2.)

PS: You don't need to type units in your equations. State the units when reporting the final answer.

PPS: Are you able to use the forum's Preview button, to proofread your posts before submitting them? Thanks!

?

Hi Eddy. Did you miss that 2 and 1/2 inches is trimmed from both sides of the width? (I've assumed that your 2/1/2 notation is intended to mean the mixed number 2 and 1/2.)

PS: You don't need to type units in your equations. State the units when reporting the final answer.

PPS: Are you able to use the forum's Preview button, to proofread your posts before submitting them? Thanks!
And yes it is 2 1/2.
Sorry. I have to use the preview key. Now, let me ask you this.
What button do I have to push to write latex?

?
Oh, Yes thanks, that did it!

You know how to use Google. Type in:

LaTex tutorial
No I know thatt, but I think either Jeff or jomo told me that by pushing a button on the forum page I could at least have access to the editor. so far i have not seen that button. he mentioned that it looked like a computer logo, but i do not see anything like that. it would be easier at least for easy operations.

Last edited:
… I think [it was] either Jeff or jomo who told me that by pushing a button on the forum page I could at least have access to the [LaTeX] editor
Hello eddy2017.

This forum has no LaTeX editor.

The toolbar button that you've mentioned inserts only the tags. It's up to the author to type LaTeX commands between the tags. Please see this post, for more information about LaTeX in the forum.

You may also find this thread helpful, for additional forum editing features.

I'd also like to mention an issue that I've noticed in some of your posts. When you quote something that another member has posted, please do not add your own text to the quotation. Depending on the size of the quotation, the forum will not display your added text unless the reader chooses to expand the quotation. (Most members won't do that, but, even if they were to expand the quotation, your added text would not be obvious.) For these reasons, some of your posts appear "blank". Therefore, please ensure that your own typing is added outside the [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] tags.

If you have additional questions about how the forum works, then please start a new thread on the Administrative Issues board. Thank you.

?

Eddy

I believe I told you that if you wanted to see what LaTeX code looks like and learn by observing, hit the reply button on a post that uses LaTeX, and you will see the code used. The icon that inserts the proper tags looks like a calculator and is to the right of the flag-like icon.

?

?
otis, if the area is not 44 so it should be 24in^2, right
that is the only conclusion i am drawing here
rectifyin':
she trims 2.5 from both sides of the width
so, i need help to follow, i'm kind of confused here

Last edited:
Eddy

I believe I told you that if you wanted to see what LaTeX code looks like and learn by observing, hit the reply button on a post that uses LaTeX, and you will see the code used. The icon that inserts the proper tags looks like a calculator and is to the right of the flag-like icon.
ohh, that was what you meant. oh , okay, that is good!. sorry for the misunderstanding

Hello eddy2017.

This forum has no LaTeX editor.

The toolbar button that you've mentioned inserts only the tags. It's up to the author to type LaTeX commands between the tags. Please see this post, for more information about LaTeX in the forum.

You may also find this thread helpful, for additional forum editing features.

I'd also like to mention an issue that I've noticed in some of your posts. When you quote something that another member has posted, please do not add your own text to the quotation. Depending on the size of the quotation, the forum will not display your added text unless the reader chooses to expand the quotation. (Most members won't do that, but, even if they were to expand the quotation, your added text would not be obvious.) For these reasons, some of your posts appear "blank". Therefore, please ensure that your own typing is added outside the [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] tags.

If you have additional questions about how the forum works, then please start a new thread on the Administrative Issues board. Thank you.

?
i don't mind. for me,this is the best forum there is around!!

otis, if the area is not 44 so it should be 24in^2, right
adding the perimeter and taking away what was trimmed, is that it?
the new perimter adds to 29 minus 5 and 2 inches taken
24 in^2
is this correct

… 24 in^2 … is this correct [?]
Yes, that's what I got.

You may subtract the trimmed areas from the original area, OR (more simply) you may reduce the dimensions before calculating the area. I did it the second way (reducing the dimensions).

(10 - 2) × (8 - 5) = 24

I'm not sure why you're thinking about perimeters.

?

Yes, I summed it all up ( that is why I called it perimeter, but that is not necessary) and took away the trimmed measurements but doesn't seem logical to me.
Now I see it clearly.
Thanks!

a girl painted a rectangular-shaped portrait which is 10 inches long and 8 inches wide. if she trimmed 2/1/2 inches on both sides of the width and 2 inches on one side of the length, what would be the resulting area?
This discussion went on for so long - that I lost track whether the final answer was posted.

1625843167319.png
Resulting (Trimmed Area - area after trimming) area = (10 - 2) * (8 - 5) = 8 * 3 = 24 in2

The hardest (most important) step of the problem was "the drawing".

This discussion went on for so long - that I lost track whether the final answer was posted …
Eddy gave the correct answer at the end of post #14, although I don't understand how he calculated it. He mentions "trimming" the perimeter, but his math in that post does not yield 24.

? It may be that Eddy has correct notions in his threads, sometimes, but his posts don't reflect it because his English is lacking.

\(\;\)

in post 14 i got the answer by adding the new perimeter=29 in
but subbin' 2 an5 from it =24^2
i wrote 24^2 down below ( in post 14) and asked if that was the right answer.

Last edited: