A number cube is rolled 50 times with the results shown in the table.

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, Happy New Year to all, this is an exercise about probability with a different twist for me
I know that the basic formula for probability.
P= number of favorable outcomes/ total of outcomes.

while I can see that the number the total of possible outcomes is 21 I am having difficulty in understanding how to use the information given in the frequency row. I don't see any consistency between the outcome and the frequency so I am at a loss for a way to analize this
thanks for any hint
thanks

DIRECTIONS: Read the question and select the best response.

A number cube is rolled 50 times with the results shown in the table.

Results of Number Cube Rolling Experiment
Outcome 1 2 3 4 5 6
Frequency 10 9 11 12 8 0

What is the experimental probability of rolling a 4?
choices
4/12 4 over 12

4/5 4 over 5

12/50 12 over 50

10/50 10 over 50

I think I may have it. I was not paying attention to this tidbit of info here. what is the experimental probability of rolling a 4?
I take a look at the 4 in the table and I see its frequency is 12, so it has a probability of 4 over 12 first choice. Uhmmm..but I am not so sure.
oh no, 12 over 50

Last edited:
Oh, I think I have it. I was not paying attention to this tidbit of info here. what is the experimental probability of rolling a 4?
I take a look at the 4 in the table and I see its frequency is 12, so it has a probability of 4 over 12 first choice.
Not correct.
P(rolling a 4)=[imath]\frac{\text{frequency rolling a 4}}{\text{total number of times rolled}}[/imath].
How many times did you roll a 4? How many times did you roll in total?

Correct.

Now can you calculate:

Probability of NOT rolling a 4 (according to the frequency table given)
Probability of not rolling a 4?.
Well, I ca n roll 1,2,3,5,6 in 50 rolls.
5/50 probability of not rolling a 4.

Probability of not rolling a 4?.
Well, I ca n roll 1,2,3,5,6 in 50 rolls.
5/50 probability of not rolling a 4.
No! think again.

In this case you will either roll a 4 OR roll NOT a 4.

While conducting the experiment of rolling the die (as described in the OP), how many times the experimenter did not roll a 4?

No! think again.

In this case you will either roll a 4 OR roll NOT a 4.

While conducting the experiment of rolling the die (as described in the OP), how many times the experimenter did not roll a 4?
you said 'Probability of NOT rolling a 4 (according to the frequency table given) post #5

to find this I would:
total number of frequencies not rolling a 4/total number of time rolled = 38/50

you said 'Probability of NOT rolling a 4 (according to the frequency table given) post #5

to find this I would:
total number of frequencies not rolling a 4/total number of time rolled = 38/50
Another way to solve Dr Khan's question is to use the complement. Since you rolled a 4 twelve times out of the fifty times. Then (50-12)=38 times you did not get a 4. Thus, P(not rolling a 4)=38/50.

Another way to solve Dr Khan's question is to use the complement. Since you rolled a 4 twelve times out of the fifty times. Then (50-12)=38 times you did not get a 4. Thus, P(not rolling a 4)=38/50.
Wow, amazing. You made it so easy, BBB. Thank you.