A rancher has 48 meters of wire to make a pen for his cows...

Otis, I am so glad you made comment. I appreciate you a lot and hold your knowledge in high regard. I have watched and studied a couple of tutorials about completing the square. My difficulty is to know when to apply it . That's when a tutor may come in hand and lead me that way with a couple of tips.

Last edited:
Otis, I am so glad you made comment. I appreciate you a lot and hold your knowledge in high regard. I have watched and studied a couple of tutorials about completing the square. My difficult is to know when to apply it . That's when a tutor may come in hand and lead me that way with a couple of tips.
Eddy

You can always apply completing the square to solving a quadratic equation. Similarly, you can always apply the quadratic formula to solving a quadratic equation. Indeed, the quadratic formula is a necessary consequence of completing the square.

What is not always practical when solving a quadratic equation (although it always applies in principle).

Some teachers prefer completing the square. Others prefer the quadratic formula. Pick one.

He also shows an algebraic method, Jeff, where he manipulates the quadratic equation into vertex form (revealing the parabola's maximum y-coordinate, as you know).

Completing the square could be something that Eddy will be tested on. (I had to learn it in middle school.) I'll wait to see where his lesson plan takes him.

[imath]\;[/imath]
Definitely. Quadratic equations is a skill to be tested on the test.

conversion to “canonical form“ etc is still more complex than skeeter’s method, which needs [little] more than the formula for the area of a rectangle.
Oh, definitely. (I was thinking more of the equation solving part, not the setup.)

seems to me that what was being done to Eddy was mystification … Talking about derivatives
Oh, I agree! I think it would be better for Eddy to use a single beginning-algebra text, but I also understand his need to augment lessons by seeking Spanish-language resources. There must be free algebra-focused videos in Spanish; I think Khan Academy might have a Spanish site.

?

Eddy

You can always apply completing the square to solving a quadratic equation. Similarly, you can always apply the quadratic formula to solving a quadratic equation. Indeed, the quadratic formula is a necessary consequence of completing the square.

What is not always practical when solving a quadratic equation (although it always applies in principle).

Some teachers prefer completing the square. Others prefer the quadratic formula. Pick one.
The quadratic formula is better for me. It is just a question of memorizing it and substitution of the terms in it.

The quadratic formula is better for me. It is just a question of memorizing it and substitution of the terms in it.
What is the output of the quadratic formula? (That requires understanding the formula thoroughly - and that requires understanding and remembering - not memorizing - the derivation from completing the square).

I would like to learn both methods. I have already watched a couple of basic tutorials. Not that difficult. I have seen a thread here in the forum where a poster posted equations that were missing a term and needed to find the term to make the equation true. I will look again but I think the first one is a quadratic equation. I will try to solve it and post the result today. That'll be good practice.

These guys arecpretty good at explaining the basic formula.

I'm looking for course 1 of this book.
This is course 2 of Algebra1 and this book deals wirh completing the square in one of its chapters. I have course 2. Need course 1

Let me see if i can attach the photo of the book here. This is Algebra 1 course 2. if you locate course 1 please, let me know. this is a good book.

Attachments

• 20211126_092351.jpg
    20211126_092351.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
The quadratic formula is better for me
When you're solving equations, that formula always applies. When we seek other information (eg: function transformations or minimum/maximum value), then completing the square could be a better choice of methods.

:)

For a very new and nice way to solve quadratic equation you may want to watch Dr Po-Shen Loh
Thanks a lot Mr Jomo. I have already saved the video to study it thoroughly. There is axplethora of nicecresorces out there. Thank you for pointing them out.