A teacher is going to develop the concept of squaring a binomial expression

eddy2017

Elite Member
A teacher is going to develop the concept of squaring a binomial expression. Which of the following models would be the most appropriate to use?

I have attached the file here
I have studied a tutorial about how to square a binomial. really easy operation, but sometimes the phrasing or presentation of a question can throw me off

I know that one common mistake people do is they apply the exponent to the variable and number inside of parentheses.
the way to do it is, eg,
[math](x-2)^2 multiply the binomial by itself and then distribute,[/math](x-2)(x-2)

squaring a binomial will get me a trinomial ,
so for this I am going with the last choice D because I see it has a part for the constant term.
that is my take on this. You rectify me, pls, as always

Attachments

• A teacher is going to develop the concept of squaring a binomial expression (1).pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 10
Let me try to attach the pic

Attachments

• 20220101_135926.jpg
    20220101_135926.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
you can see now the nature of the question. I know how to do a binomial and how to foil. but i am not understanding the answer choices.

Which of the following models would be the most appropriate to use?

This is what I get when applying the first-outer-inner-last method
a^2+ab+ba+b2

That last term in your four terms should be b^2
(before simplifying further).

The diagram for the third choice is wrong, because it does not contain any squares in the
upper left or the lower right. You have to go by
what the text next to it states for the decision
as whether to choose it or not.

This is what I get when applying the first-outer-inner-last method
a^2+ab+ba+b^2
You have 4 terms here, each term represents an area of a rectangle. For example, [imath]a^2[/imath] is an area of a rectangle with dimension a by a. Which answer choices represent the sum of 4 areas of rectangles with the dimension of a*a, a*b, b*a, b*b?(Note this is one of the correct answer)

Last edited:

The diagram for the third choice is wrong, because it does not contain any squares in the
I see it now, lookagain. Thank you. You made me so happy by giving your insight here. Much appreciated.

You have 4 terms here, each term represents an area of a rectangle. For example, [imath]a^2[/imath] is an area of a rectangle with dimension a by a. Which answer choices represent the sum of 4 areas of rectangles with the dimension of a*a, a*b, b*a, b*b?(Note this is one of the correct answer)
Oh, BBB, wow, C !. that was brilliant!. Thank you.

Yes, b^2. I forgot the ^.

I can see the PDF, but I can't see what you mean by the 'constant term' and why you think that 'D' is the best choice.
Yes, I don't know why I thought of a polynomial format at the beginning ans hence so D as the right choice, erroneously so because nothing is mentioned about Polynomials in the question.