About circular table

ryan_kidz

A circular table is pushed into a corner of a rectangular room so that it touches both walls. A point on the edge of the table between to points of the contact is 2 inches from one wall and 9 inches from the other wall. What is the radius of the table?

thnx for ur the attentions.

Well there is probably a much easier way to complete this problem but here is my suggestion. Think of the walls as the x and y-axes. The circle is tangent to both the x and y-axes. Let the x-axis tangent point be (x, 0) and let the y-axis tangent point be (0, y). Then the center must be (x, y). Since the radii of a circle are constant, x = y.

We are also told that there is a point on the circle which is 9 units away from one of the axes and 2 units away from the other axis. This is equal to the points (9, 2) or (2, 9).

As I mentioned before, the radii of a circle are constant so the distance from the center (x, y) to the x-axis tangent point (x, 0) must be equal to the distance from the center (x, y) to one of those previously given points. It does not matter which one you use so let's just say (9, 2). Apply the distance formula and equate them.

sqrt[(x-9)^2+(y-2)^2] = sqrt[(x-x)^2+(y-0)^2]
(x-9)^2+(y-2)^2 = (x-x)^2+(y-0)^2
(x-9)^2+(x-2)^2 = (x-x)^2+(x-0)^2
x^2-18x+81+x^2-4x+4 = x^2
x^2-22x+85 = 0
(x-5)(x-17) = 0
x= 5, 17

5 can be eliminated because if the radius were 5, the points (9, 2) and (2, 9) could not exist between the x and y axes tangent points as the problem requires. Therefore the radius of the circle is 17inches.

I know it's hard to picture all of this without a drawing so it will help if you draw a simple diagram. If you have any questions about all of this, feel free to ask. Like I said earlier, there is probably a much easier way to complete this problem. :D

Well, you can also draw the darn thing:
then join center to point (2,9);
you'll "see" a right triangle hypotenuse = r, legs = r-2 and r-9;
r^2 = (r-2)^2 + (r-9)^2

Solve that to get same as dagger told you.

Yes I just like to make things needlessly complicated! Btw, how did you get the name dagger from dagr8est? :lol:

dagr8est said:
...how did you get the name dagger from dagr8est?
Is there a preferred pronunciation for "dagr8est"? :wink:

Eliz.

dagr8est said:
Yes I just like to make things needlessly complicated! Btw, how did you get the name dagger from dagr8est? :lol:

DAGgeR ; "the greatest" is Muhammad Ali, not you!

stapel said:
Is there a preferred pronunciation for "dagr8est"?
Certainly . . . "da gr-8-est"

You don't read license plates, do you, Eliz?
. . Senator Barry Goldwater had: AUH2O
. . Lawrence Welk allegedly had: A1ANA2