Absolute Maxima and Minima

three3985

Hello all,

I would like to check whether if my answers to the below questions are correct.

1616241660290.png

1616241708557.png

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions!

You're right on the first problem. The absolute minimum is -2, at x=2.

For the second, check for sign errors! And is 0 in [1, 5]? Sketching a graph might help prevent those errors.

On your first one, your answer of x = 2 is correct, however, your analysis has an error. You write that f ''(2) = 1, but f '' (x) is the horizontal line y = 4.

You're right on the first problem. The absolute minimum is -2, at x=2.

For the second, check for sign errors! And is 0 in [1, 5]? Sketching a graph might help prevent those errors.

Just realised I've made some error. So to clarify, the absolute minimum for A is 0 whilst the absolute minimum for B is 1?

On your first one, your answer of x = 2 is correct, however, your analysis has an error. You write that f ''(2) = 1, but f '' (x) is the horizontal line y = 4.

Hey, thanks for replying, I wrote f ''(2) = 1>0, f (2) = -2 would be the absolute minimum, is that incorrect?

Just realised I've made some error. So to clarify, the absolute minimum for A is 0 whilst the absolute minimum for B is 1?
You meant maximum there, right?

Hey, thanks for replying, I wrote f ''(2) = 1>0, f (2) = -2 would be the absolute minimum, is that incorrect?
You had previously written, f"(x) = 4, so clearly f"(2) = 4, not 1, right? Where did you get 1?

You meant maximum there, right?

You had previously written, f"(x) = 4, so clearly f"(2) = 4, not 1, right? Where did you get 1?

1) Isn't the maximum 25 and the minimum 1 for B?

2) Oh thanks for spotting that out for me, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
1) Isn't the maximum 25 and the minimum 1 for B?
I misread what you wrote, thinking "the absolute minimum for A is 0 whilst the absolute minimum for B is 1" was all about A (the minimum and maximum). I missed "for B".

Personally, on neither of those would I take the derivative. Instead, complete the square!

$2x^2- 8x+ 6= 2(x^2- 4x)+ 6= 2(x^2- 4x+ 4- 4)+ 6= 2(x- 2)^2- 8$.
Since a square is never the minimum is -8 when x= 2. We also need to check the endpoint x= 0. $2(0^2)- 8(0)= 6= 6$ and as x goes to infinity, the value increases indefinitely.

The absolute minimum is -8 and there is no absolute maximum.

$x^2$ is already a perfect square. Its minimum is 0 at x= 0. Then we need to check the endpoints of the intervals.

A. [-1, 1] $(-1)^2= 1$, and $1^2= 1$, The interval includes x= 0 so the minimum is 0 and the maximum is 1.

B. [1, 5] $1^2= 1$ and $5^2= 25$. The minimum is 1 and the maximum is 25.

C. [-5, 5] $(-5)^2= 26$ and $5^2= 25$. The interval includes 0 so the minimum is 0 and the maximum is 25.