Absolute Value

Hi there!
So I have the problem |y-2| + 11 > 0, and I got, for my two solutions, |y| > -9 (which would mean all real numbers are true) and |y| < 13. How would I display my answer?

Thanks!

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Can you explain what you mean by "my two solutions"? Do you think both of these are correct answers, or that the answer consists of both combined by "or" or "and", or something else?

Also, can you show how you got them?

The correct answer is that the inequality is true for all real numbers, but the inequality |y-2| + 11 > 0 is not inherently equivalent to |y| > -9. I think you took an illegal step. The important part of answering your question will be to correct your work.

Can you explain what you mean by "my two solutions"? Do you think both of these are correct answers, or that the answer consists of both combined by "or" or "and", or something else?

Also, can you show how you got them?

The correct answer is that the inequality is true for all real numbers, but the inequality |y-2| + 11 > 0 is not inherently equivalent to |y| > -9. I think you took an illegal step. The important part of answering your question will be to correct your work.
Thanks! I realized I had a computation error, thus seeming like I took an "illegal step".

pka

Elite Member
So I have the problem |y-2| + 11 > 0, and I got, for my two solutions, |y| > -9 (which would mean all real numbers are true) and |y| < 13. How would I display my answer?
Please think about the following:
If \(\displaystyle c>0\) then the solution to \(\displaystyle |x+5|+c>0\) has a solution set of \(\displaystyle (-\infty,\infty)\), all real numbers.

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Thanks! I realized I had a computation error, thus seeming like I took an "illegal step".
It will still be good to show your work, because I think there's more than just a wrong addition. Your result should not have looked anything like what you wrote. At the very least, you wrote absolute values where they should not have been.

Jomo

Elite Member
I agree with Dr P that you should show us your work as something went wrong somewhere. Thanks