ACT practice help please

Photogirl

I am studying for the ACT and stuck. With a calculator I get the answer -2 without -42 what is the correct answer and why?
|-20+6*3|

also how would I find the distance in centimeters between the midpoint on a segment line??

I am studying for the ACT and stuck. With a calculator I get the answer -2 without -42 what is the correct answer and why?
|-20+6*3|
Not knowing what you plugged into the calculator or what your steps were, I'm afraid there is no way to comment on this other than to recommend that you review absolute values and the order of operations. For specific advice, please reply showing your work. Thank you!

also how would I find the distance in centimeters between the midpoint on a segment line??
Um... with a ruler, maybe? I'm sorry but, lacking the exact text of (and instructions for) the exercise, it is not possible to know what information or methods you have at your disposal, so there is no way to advise specifically on methodology. Please reply with the missing information. Thank you! ;)

rules of calculation

always do multiplication before addition, therefore 6*3 = 18, done first. the -20 plus 18 =-2, absolute value of -2 is 2. Don''t know,how the answers you have appeared unless the / sign was actually a (.

|-20+6*3|

In absolute value computations, you first do the computation inside the absolute value bars.

\(\displaystyle |- 20 + 6 * 3| = |-20 + 18| = |-2|.\)

So what is the correct answer?