Adding a "Perimeter" to a Shape

nkline

2rele0z.png

Assumptions
I have a piece of fabric shaped like the blue shape and its measurements are (in inches):
a = 25
b = 18.384
c = 18.384

Problem
The green shape represents a "perimeter" piece of fabric six inches wide that I want to attach to the blue shape. What are the measurements of x, y, and z?

My brain hurts from trying to solve this problem over the past couple days. Thanks for your help :)

nkline said:
2rele0z.png

Assumptions
I have a piece of fabric shaped like the blue shape and its measurements are (in inches):
a = 25
b = 18.384
c = 18.384

Problem
The green shape represents a "perimeter" piece of fabric six inches wide that I want to attach to the blue shape. What are the measurements of x, y, and z?

My brain hurts from trying to solve this problem over the past couple days. Thanks for your help :)

It depends on the measure of the base angles. If the base angles are 45 degrees than the horizontal length of the green area on the base is \(\displaystyle 6\sqrt{2}\) or about 8.48 inches. That makes the total base of the big trapezoid a+16.96.
I think you need more info, such as the base of the blue trapezoid. If you had that, and the measure of the base angles, it would be duck soup. Otherwise, I think it would be very complex.

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I think you need more info, such as the base of the blue trapezoid.

The length of the base of the blue trapezoid is 51 inches.

Well, in case you're a non-student trying to embellish a piece of cloth:
x = 29.9703.... and y = z = 26.8696....

If you're a student trying for the "how", well I'd need a blackboard!!

Hello, nkline!

The length of the base of the blue trapezoid is 51 inches.

Great . . . got any more surprises?

Having said that, note that the base angles are \(\displaystyle 45^o\).