Age problem

Gamer30

Hi everyone,
I would greatly appreciate if someone can provide the step-by-step solution to the following question (as I'm confused by the way the question is being phrased):

Qn:
I was 3 times older than my brother 2 years ago. I will be twice as old as my brother in 3 years' time. How old am I and my brother now?

Hi everyone,
I would greatly appreciate if someone can provide the step-by-step solution to the following question (as I'm confused by the way the question is being phrased):

Qn:
I was 3 times older than my brother 2 years ago. I will be twice as old as my brother in 3 years' time. How old am I and my brother now?
Assume NOW, you are M years old and your brother is B years old.

How old were you two years ago (= M-2)

How old was your brother two years ago (= B-2)

How old will you be in three years from now (= M+3)

How old will your brother be in three years from now (= B+3)

Continue........

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

provide the step-by-step solution to the following question
Hi Gamer. There are different methods for finding the answer. Is that question part of somebody's homework? Has that person learned any algebra? (You've posted on the Arithmetic Board; are you looking for an arithmetic solution?)

I'm confused by the way the question is being phrased
Does this rewording help?

2 years ago, my age was 3 times my brother's age.
3 years from now, my age will be 2 times my brother's age.

Code:
Looking at a different example:

My Age    Bro's Age
4 years ago          30          6
3 years ago          31          7
2 years ago          32          8
1 year ago           33          9
  Now                34         10
1 year from now      35         11
2 years from now     36         12

From this data, we may say:
4 years ago, my age was 5 times my bro's age.
2 years from now, my age will be 3 times my bro's age.

Does the example help to clarify the question? If you would like more assistance, please answer the queries above and share any efforts so far. Thanks!

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]

Last edited:
Let x be your age now. Let y be your brothers age now. Two years ago you were x- 2 years old and your brother was y- 2 years old. Your age was three times his: x- 2= 3(y- 2)= 3y- 6. x= 3y- 4.

In 3 years time you will be x+ 3 years old and your brother will be y+ 3 years old and you will be twice his age: x+ 3= 2(y+ 3)= 2y+ 6. x= 2y+ 3.

Solve x= 3y- 4= 2y+ 3 for y then find x= 2y+ 3

Hi everyone,

Qn:
Gamer has NOT visited the site since 2/23/22

Tell me, is there any other way to solve this problem?
Hi. Educated guessing works. If one is organized and has good number sense, then the possibilities narrow down fairly quickly.

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]