Algebra foundations & GMAT prep

KPM

Hi All

Thanks for your time.

I am beginning to prepare to take the GMAT early next year. I have gone through a prep course, which has been helpful in identifying to me that my Algebra skills are not where they need to be.

I am going back to basics with the Khan Academy, and found a book 'Algebra: Basic Algebra Explained by Graham Lawler' in my local library.

I wondered if any of you might have any recommendations of books or textbooks that you felt were particularly useful?

I am looking to strengthen my understand of the foundations/principles of algebra as some of the more 'difficult' questions I can get through, but others I don't even know where to start as I feel I do not understand the concepts fully.

If there are any other q's i have left unanswered please do ask and I will try to clarify.

Thanks again

KPM

… any recommendations of books or textbooks that you felt were particularly useful? …
Hi KPM. Only you can determine which resources work well for you. Complete, free algebra texts are available for download online. Google keywords like free algebra textbooks. If you can't easily follow a topic in one book, then check how other authors discuss it, by using the books' index.

… some of the more 'difficult' questions I can get … others I don't even know where to start as I feel I do not understand the concepts fully.
Feel free to post such exercises here, along with your thoughts or concern. Sometimes, materials are not worded properly (or could be clearer); other times, authors assume their audience understands what they need to know (eg: physics word problem) to set up the math part, so they don't explain it. Otherwise, we can always help explain a given exercise statement. Cheers

?

Thanks so much Otis, I will find some of those texts you mentioned!

Absolutely, I will post any sticking points. I appreciate the help on this forum, and from the other threads where I have read through and found answers. It's great to have resources and helpful people. ?

Thanks

KPM

Absolutely, I will post any sticking points. I appreciate the help on this forum, and from the other threads where I have read through and found answers. It's great to have resources and helpful people.
I place of Kahn, have you considered a book such as this ?
There are many many good used copies of College Algebra textbooks listed on Amazon. Many if not most are less than $15.

I place of Kahn, have you considered a book such as this ?
There are many many good used copies of College Algebra textbooks listed on Amazon. Many if not most are less than $15.

PKA thank you very much, apologies for the late reply I have been travelling!

I have downloaded an ebook copy of the book you recommended, this is exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to suggest it. Sometime there are so many choices I struggle to decide, whereas recommendations help. Also having a look at more college algebra textbooks.

Best wishes

KPM