Algebra fractions: (5/53) + (1/13) div (43/75) × (21/32) - (1/7)

Damianp

does the ‘div’ mean divide? This is what I assumed and I am way off on the answer. I applied bodmas and don’t know how to answer this question

Attachments

• 54AAC7F5-8AAB-4EE9-A189-229EF608A148.png
    54AAC7F5-8AAB-4EE9-A189-229EF608A148.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Compute [imath]\frac{5}{53} + \frac{1}{13} \bm{ div } \frac{43}{75} \times \frac{21}{32} - \frac{1}{7}[/imath]

does the ‘div’ mean divide? This is what I assumed and I am way off on the answer. I applied bodmas and don’t know how to answer this question
I would assume so, yes, so the expression should be:

[imath]\qquad \frac{5}{53} + \frac{1}{13} \div \frac{43}{75} \times \frac{21}{32} - \frac{1}{7}[/imath]

Since you have completed computations ("I am way off..."), please reply with a clear listing of your steps and your answer, so we can see what is going on. Thank you!

It's possible that they meant something different than ordinary division, but I can't think of anything else they could mean. Where did this problem come from? (My guess is that they were using LaTeX or another typesetting language and left off the backslash that changes [imath]div[/imath] to [imath]\div[/imath].)

In saying you are "way off", I suspect you mean you were given the "correct" answer, and yours doesn't match. Telling us that answer, as well as your own, will help us confirm the intended meaning of the problem.

And showing the steps of your work, in detail, will help us see where your difficulty might be, if not in the interpretation! There are some possible misunderstandings of "BODMAS" that might come into play, as well as basic errors in working with fractions.

I get 0.156.
Is that what you get?
(Or is it the answer provided?)

Regardless, please show us your answer (and the working used to arrive at it) and the answer that that you are "way off" of.

Interesting. I get 0.040 (after rounding). That probably comes from different interpretations of "BODMAS" (unless it's a silly mistake). We definitely need to see the details.
I did multiplication then division then addition and, finally, subtraction but you know me, I could well have slipped up somewhere, lol. ?
Once we get a response from the OP I'll be happy to show my working. ?

(I only converted to decimal after I had reached a final answer as a common fraction.)

Edit: but now, converting to decimal (as I go along) I still get 0.156. ?

Last edited:
I did multiplication then division then addition and, finally, subtraction but you know me, I could well have slipped up somewhere, lol.

I'm waiting for the OP to show work, which may or may not reveal the same issue we appear to be having. But ultimately, this is not a good problem to assign, because we usually avoid using [imath]\div[/imath] in math beyond the elementary level, in part because there are several longstanding ambiguities in its use. This is what I meant when I said,
There are some possible misunderstandings of "BODMAS" that might come into play, as well as basic errors in working with fractions.

Some who learn "PEMDAS" think it means Multiplication, then Division, then Addition, then Subtraction. You appear to be doing this, though you didn't deny using BODMAS.

Some who learn "BODMAS" think it means Division, then Multiplication, then Addition, then Subtraction.

Some do multiplication and division in either of those orders, but know to do additions and subtractions from left to right.

In my experience, both are usually taught as Multiplication and Division, left to right, then Addition and Subtraction, left to right. This is what I did.

Then there are other issues (common in social media arguments) involving implicit multiplication (juxtaposition), like 6/2(1+2), but that isn't involved here.

(5/53) + (1/13) div (43/75) × (21/32) - (1/7)​

= (5/53) + (1/13) * (75/43) × (21/32) - (1/7)

I have converted the "division" to "reciprocal of multiplication".

Now do the multiplications and continue following BODMAS.

My advice would be to the calculations in fractions (as opposed to converting to decimals) right upto last step before declaring answer in "correct to 3 decimal places.

For the record, I agree with Dr.Peterson.

-Dan
Me too! I would revise my answer to 0.040 (not 0.156).
I inadvertently (but stupidly ?) ignored the fact that multiplication & division are not commutative! ?‍♂️
Perhaps the OP has just made the same mistake? ?