Algebra with fractions? Can someone help me with this?

Xel3

I must have misunderstood how to do this, because my answer is coming up wrong. You're supposed to remove the fractions by multiplying everything that isn't within the parenthesis, right? If I misunderstood, could somebody correct me?

Seems the anxiety caused you to forget to post your problem?.

Yes, give us a specific example of a question. I'll give you the step by step on how to work it then.

galactus said:

Heh, not quite. Fractions are kind of pain to post, so I figured that I would make sure if my understanding of the rule was correct first. Anyway, I'll post the problem, then my steps later if they are needed. (I'm little busy at the moment, sorry. I'll be back in about an hour after this post)

1 1
- - (x-12) + - (x+2) = x + 4
4 2

I would multiply everything outside of the parenthesis by 4, including the side of the equation without the fractions, right? My book says that the answer is x=0, but I can't figure out how to get that.

Thanks
Sorry about all the trouble, math really isn't my thing.

Edit: The problem came out wrong after I posted it, even if it looks normal in the text screen. The + one half should come after the (x-12) and before the (x+2) *Sigh* Things just aren't going my way today.

Xel3 said:
galactus said:

Heh, not quite. Fractions are kind of pain to post, so I figured that I would make sure if my understanding of the rule was correct first. Anyway, I'll post the problem, then my steps later if they are needed. (I'm little busy at the moment, sorry. I'll be back in about an hour after this post)

1 1
- - (x-12) + - (x+2) = x + 4
4 2

I would multiply everything outside of the parenthesis by 4, including the side of the equation without the fractions, right? My book says that the answer is x=0, but I can't figure out how to get that.

Thanks
Sorry about all the trouble, math really isn't my thing.

Edit: The problem came out wrong after I posted it, even if it looks normal in the text screen. The + one half should come after the (x-12) and before the (x+2) *Sigh* Things just aren't going my way today.

Is this what your equation supposed to be. I am having trouble telling since it got discombobulated when it was posted. I know how that is.

eqn50824cm.gif

Change the (X+12) to a (x+2) and you got it. How do you do that, anyway?

galactus said:
Is this what your equation supposed to be. I am having trouble telling since it got discombobulated when it was posted. I know how that is.[/color]

Yes, I believe that's his equation. If you press "Quote" on the post, you see it properly,
Once second and I'll solve it for you.

The LCD is 4. You knew that.

Multiplying through by 4 and you get:

(x-12)+2(x+2)=4(x+4)

x-12+2x+4=4x+16

3x-8=4x+16

-x=24

x=-24

As for the posting format. That's latex. I used a hosting website to post it.

Does this help?.