algebra

savage16

Which is the graph of the sequence defined by the function f(x) = 100(0.5)x - 1?
On a coordinate plane, 4 points are plotted. The points are (0, 100), (1, 50), (2, 25), (3, 12.5).

On a coordinate plane, 4 points are plotted. The points are (1, 100), (2, 50), (3, 25), (4, 12.5).

On a coordinate plane, 3 points are plotted. The points are (0, 100), (2, 90), (4, 80).

On a coordinate plane, 3 points are plotted. The points are (1, 100), (3, 90), (5, 80).

What have you tried? This is a math help site not post your problem and receive an answer. Did you read the forum guidelines?
Please post back telling us where you are stuck.

I will give one hint. When x=0, what does y equal OR when x=1 what does y equal? Remember that y is just another name for f(x) and f(x) is another name for y.

Which is the graph of the sequence defined by … 100(0.5)x - 1
Hi savage. The third graph skips the sequence elements given by x=1 and x=3, but that graph would be correct, otherwise, if the definition were given as

f(x) = -100(0.05x - 1)

instead of

f(x) = 100(0.5)x - 1

?

thanks otis
You're welcome, savage, but that was just an observation that came to me. If I thought some more, I might find a function similar to what you posted that matches one of the other graphs.

Can you post an image of the function definition, as it was given to you? You may have typed it incorrectly, or your materials may contain a mistake.

\(\;\)

… all of those are supposed to be on the other side
Hello. I need help understanding the pronoun 'those', as well as the side you referenced.

All of what are supposed to be on the other side of what?

\(\;\)

Evaluate f(0), f(1), f(2), and f(3), and see which graph contains the resulting points. Please show what you got when you did that, so we can see if you are evaluating incorrectly.

Hi savage. In the forum guidelines, there's a link to a site that shows how to type math expressions using a keyboard.

We show exponents using the caret symbol ^

100(0.5)^(x - 1)

If the exponent is a single number or symbol, then you may omit the grouping symbols around it.

x^2

?