Alley Hoop!

thesloc said:
How do I derive a height from the intersection point?
With the coordinate axes defined as I suggested, the height IS the y-coordinate of the point of intersection.

The similar triangles solution is much simpler. That's the beauty of a unique answer. It doesn't care how you find it.

tkhunny said:
thesloc said:
How do I derive a height from the intersection point?
With the coordinate axes defined as I suggested, the height IS the y-coordinate of the point of intersection.

The similar triangles solution is much simpler. That's the beauty of a unique answer. It doesn't care how you find it.

So 120/[4*sqrt(3) + 3*sqrt(2)], is the point of intersection as well as the height?

Um..can you possibly help me write a similar triangles solution...pleeassee?

I tried to give the reasons for each step. What is it you don't understand.
------------------
Gene

I'm really bad at cooking but if I have a recipe I can at least start cooking. How far can you get following my "recipe" after you correct the first line?
--------------------
Gene

When you're sitting in that exam room, we won't be there. Independence and confidence are NOT optional.

thesloc said:
I'm bad at Algebra; for sure.
thesloc said:
I'm really bad at Geometry.
OK, here's a plan. Let's lose the concept above and go with the one below.

Stop, take a deep breath (don't forget to exhale - then continue rhythmically breathing in and out), think of The Little Train that Could, go through each well-explained example very carefully, contemplating each step. Go ahead and print them out so you can write on the paper. If you get stuck on a particular step, ask here. We can help if you can learn. The concept of "show me how to plug it all in" simply is not useful. One step at a time. Slowly. Let is soak in. It comes easier for some than for others. Don't let this discourage you (seeing that others are faster) or make you think you are the world's best (seeing that others are slower). Learn at YOUR pace. The pace of others is of no consequence. Calm, relax...