An easy way of solving fraction questions with large numbers

d.mehdoi

Hello! I have a question about fractions. I'll be glad if someone can help me with that.

*** That is 2008

In such questions, am I supposed to calculate it or is there a faster way?

Thanks a lot!

Hello! I have a question about fractions. I'll be glad if someone can help me with that.

View attachment 12205
*** That is 2008

Thanks a lot!
Addition is associative and commutative.

(2009 + 5/3) - (2008 + 2/3)

2009 + 5/3 - 2008 - 2/3

2009 - 2008 + 5/3 - 2/3

(2009 - 2008) + (5/3 - 2/3)

View attachment 12205
*** That is 2008

Thanks a lot!
I would observe

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{5}{3} \ = \ 1\dfrac{2}{3}\)

and then

\(\displaystyle 2009\dfrac{5}{3} \ = \ 2010\dfrac{2}{3}\)

thus the answer is = 2

Am I the only one to see \(\displaystyle 200 \delta\) in the OP?

-Dan

I would observe

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{5}{3} \ = \ 1\dfrac{2}{3}\)

and then

\(\displaystyle 2009\dfrac{5}{3} \ = \ 2010\dfrac{2}{3}\)

thus the answer is = 2
Thank you! I didn't see that.

Am I the only one to see \(\displaystyle 200 \delta\) in the OP?

-Dan
Yes my bad, I couldn't write 8 properly on Math input panel. It is 2008.

Last edited:
You accidentally typed "200\delta" instead of "2008" in the tex box? Trouble finding the 8 key?

You accidentally typed "200\delta" instead of "2008" in the tex box? Trouble finding the 8 key?
In Math input panel you write it with mouse and as far as I could observe if you write 8 starting from right to left it types a delta rather than eight. You should write it starting from left to right. I didn't know this difference at that time and no matter how many times I wrote 8 it typed a delta there. So I kept it this way and noted that it's an eight on the bottom in my message.

Also, you can right click the number/symbol and correct it. It gives you options to choose which number/symbol you want to change it to. But as I said I didn't know that at that time. I am a beginner with this software, just as I am in Maths.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of Math Input Panel; I just tried it, and it made ridiculous errors. Maybe you should try something else (though once you learn how to correct errors, it appears to be at least workable if you're patient). Latex is not too hard for simple expressions.

I'd never heard of Math Input Panel; I just tried it, and it made ridiculous errors. Maybe you should try something else (though once you learn how to correct errors, it appears to be at least workable if you're patient). Latex is not too hard for simple expressions.
Thank you for your suggestion, I will learn more about it.

Hello d.mehdoi. As another alternative, you can simply type mixed numbers -- like '2009 and 5/3rds' -- by replacing the word 'and' with a plus sign. Also, grouping symbols help distinguish individual mixed numbers, and they are often required to show the proper order of operations (eg: both numbers 2008 and 2/3 are being subtracted, below):

[2009 + 5/3] - [2008 + 2/3] \(\;\) is correct

2009 + 5/3 - 2008 + 2/3 \(\;\) is not

For more help learning how to type math expressions using a keyboard, check out the link from the forum guidelines titled, "Formatting Math as Text". Cheers

?

Hello d.mehdoi. As another alternative, you can simply type mixed numbers -- like '2009 and 5/3rds' -- by replacing the word 'and' with a plus sign. Also, grouping symbols help distinguish individual mixed numbers, and they are often required to show the proper order of operations (eg: both numbers 2008 and 2/3 are being subtracted, below):

[2009 + 5/3] - [2008 + 2/3] \(\;\) is correct

2009 + 5/3 - 2008 + 2/3 \(\;\) is not

For more help learning how to type math expressions using a keyboard, check out the link from the forum guidelines titled, "Formatting Math as Text". Cheers

?
Hello mmm4444bot, thank you! That website will be very helpful.

Last edited: