anitderivatives to x+2, square root of (25-x^2), 2-x, and

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillintoucan28

please tell me the antiderivatives to the follofing equations and show me you found each antiderivative

x+2, square root of (25-x^2), 2-x, absolute value of (x-2)

Re: anitderivatives

The first and third are very basic. The second one can be done with a trig sub.

\(\displaystyle \int\sqrt{25-x^{2}}dx\)

Let \(\displaystyle x=5sin(t), \;\ dx=5cos(t)dt\)

Then we get:

\(\displaystyle 25\int\cos^{2}(t)dt\)

The fourth one, we can use a little trick for this form.

When you have an integral of the form \(\displaystyle \int |x-a|dx\), then we can integate as if there were no absolute value and get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^{2}}{2}-ax\)

Then add \(\displaystyle \frac{a^{2}}{2}\) to it:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^{2}}{2}-ax+\frac{a^{2}}{2}=\frac{(x-a)^{2}}{2}\)

Now, this equals \(\displaystyle \frac{(x-a)(x-a)}{2}\)

Now, make one of them an absolute:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(x-a)|x-a|}{2}\)

In your case x=2.

Please show your work. No effort or work shown by the student never is a good sign.

Let's see how you solve them.

ok well... i just need help on the antiderivative of 2-x...

2-x = -x+2

then we use the power rule of antirderivatives

so we get (-x^2)/2 + C

C= +2x

so the antiderivative is (-x^2)/2 + 2x, is that right?

1) Why did you switch it around? 2 - x is perfectly acceptable.

\(\displaystyle \int 2\;dx = 2x + C\)

\(\displaystyle \int -x\;dx = -\frac{x^{2}}{2} + C\)

Put them together and what do you get?

Note: 'C' is an arbitrary constant. We often don't care what it is. Just knowing that there is such a thing is the important part.

sorry, im sort of confused, what do you mean "put them together"?

Im trying to find the defintie integral from x=0 to x=4 for the equation f(x) = 2-x, that is qhy I am trying to find the antiderivative, so I can use the fundamental theorem of calculus

chillintoucan28 said:
Im trying to find the defintie integral from x=0 to x=4 for...2-x....
Apply the Power Rule: For x[sup:2p1wl2ed]n[/sup:2p1wl2ed], the antiderivative is (x[sup:2p1wl2ed]n+1[/sup:2p1wl2ed]) /(n + 1). :wink:

Eliz.

\(\displaystyle \int (2-x) dx \, = \, \frac{-(2-x)^2}{2} + C\)

Evaluate the function above at x = 4

Evaluate the function above at x = 0

Subtract

That's it.....

how did you get that equation, did you use the power rule, could you please show work to how you got it, it would be greatly appreciated

You should have command of simple algebra. "Putting together" has other names, most notably "addition".

\(\displaystyle \int 2-x\;dx\;=\;\int 2\;dx\;-\;\int x\;dx\)

Do them together or do them separately.

why is there a (-) sign in fron of (2-x)^2/2, isn' the antiderivative simply (2-x)^2/2, why is there the need for a negative sign and where did it come from?

chillintoucan28 said:
why is there a (-) sign in fron of (2-x)^2/2, isn' the antiderivative simply (2-x)^2/2, why is there the need for a negative sign and where did it come from?

What is the antiderivative of '-x'?

chillintoucan28 said:
-x^2/2, but why does that matter?

That is correct - but tell me why do you have a negative sign in front of "x^2/2"?

Have you done integration by substitution?

If you have then try substituting

u = 2 - x

du = ???

Complete...

i have not done integration by substitution, look i just need the antiderivative of 2-x, is it or is it not (-x^2)/2 + 2x, if it is not please could you show me the correct answer and how you got it?

I got my answer by using the power rule of antiderivatives

look, school has not started yet, I am doing math for my personal benefit, you do not have to be so firm on having me solve the problem on my own...

chillintoucan28 said:
i have not done integration by substitution, look i just need the antiderivative of 2-x, is it or is it not (-x^2)/2 + 2x, if it is not please could you show me the correct answer and how you got it?

I got my answer by using the power rule of antiderivatives

look, school has not started yet, I am doing math for my personal benefit, you do not have to be so firm on having me solve the problem on my own...

I only insist that you understand what you are doing.

-(2-x)^2/2 = (-x^2 + 4x - 4)/2 = -x^2/2 + 2x + 1

It is the same answer you got for anti-derivative - differs by a constant.

chillintoucan28 said:
could you please throughly show me how to do that?
I'm sorry, but we simply cannot teach courses here, even if the student has the necessary background (in this case, a good grasp of differential calculus). If you are attempting self-study, that's great, but to obtain actual course instruction, you'll need to enroll in a course or else hire a qualified local tutor with whom you can meet for private lessons.

My best wishes to you in your studies! :D

Eliz.

ok foreget about 2-x, can some be kind enough to show me how to find the antiderivative of square root of (25-x^2), thats my very last question, I promise, but I do need a through step by step process shown, Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.