Annoying related rates / trig problem

Jwmphall2

Attached is a problem I received in calc ii if anybody knows how to do it please assist. I can’t seem to relate the position relative to the observer with the constantly changing angle and R.
1606941295063.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached is a problem I received in calc ii if anybody knows how to do it please assist. I can’t seem to relate the position relative to the observer with the constantly changing angle and R.
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.
1606941395375.png

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 23454
You could introduce coordinates, writing the position of the aircraft as a function of time, and using the distance formula.

It will also help if you show some work, so we can see what method you are trying, and what (if anything) is going wrong.

The angle, [MATH]\theta[/MATH], of the aircraft’s velocity relative to the ground is constant, i.e. not changing.

As stated earlier, use the cosine law to get [MATH]R[/MATH] in terms of [MATH]v, \, t, \theta, \text{ and }R_i[/MATH]. You can then find [MATH]\dfrac{dR}{dt}[/MATH] and determine the time when [MATH]R[/MATH] is a minimum.

To check your calculus solution, note that the aircraft’s closest position to the observer forms a right triangle, where the distance [MATH]R[/MATH] between the observer and aircraft is perpendicular to the aircraft’s path of travel. As such, one can solve the time of that position in terms of [MATH]v, \, \theta, \text{ and }R_i[/MATH] using a right triangle trig ratio with [MATH]\theta[/MATH].