Another Matrix question for which I am boggled.

kmille

This one boggles my mind. What do they mean and how do I solve this?

For the input-output matrix A, and the output matrix X, of three industries, find the amounts consumed internally by the production process.

[0.10 0.15 0.10]
[0.20 0.05 0.08]
[0.04 0.06 0.02] = A

[500]
[800]
[400] = X

ANY HELP PLEASE........ :idea: :?

[Co1 Co2 Co3]*A = X

Solve for [Co1 Co2 Co3]

Hello, kmille!

They should not use "X" for something that is given . . . confusing!

Also, more information about this manufacturing process work have helped.
. . I must guess at the set-up, based on experience.

For the input-output matrix A, and the output matrix B, of three industries,
find the amounts consumed internally by the production process.

. . \(\displaystyle A\;=\;\begin{vmatrix}\;0.10\; & 0.15\; & 0.10\, \\
\;0.20\; & 0.05\; & 0.08\, \\ \;0.04\; & 0.06\; & 0.02\,\end{vmatrix}\) . . . . \(\displaystyle B \;=\;\begin{vmatrix}500 \\ 800 \\ 400 \end{vmatrix}\)

I believe the equation looks like this: \(\displaystyle \:A\cdot X\:=\:B\)

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{vmatrix}\;0.10\; & 0.15\; & 0.10\; \\
\;0.20\; & 0.05\; & 0.08\; \\ \;0.04\; & 0.06\; & 0.02\;\end{vmatrix}\,\cdot\,\begin{vmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{vmatrix} \;=\;\begin{vmatrix}500 \\ 800 \\ 400 \end{vmatrix}\)

And you are expected to solve:

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{vmatrix}\;0.10\; & 0.15\; & 0.10\;&| & 500 \\
\;0.20\; & 0.05\; & 0.08\; & | & 800 \\ \;0.04\; & 0.06\; & 0.02\;& | & 400\end{vmatrix}\)

This is exactly the way the question is written out in my homework. Guess I should have mentioned that I am a 48 year old male returning to online classes after 30 years away from school. I actually only had math until 11th grade when I dropped it as a subject, so I am coming in real wet behind the ears. I have to take and pass this Finite Mathmatics course with at least a C average in order to continue with my degree path in Homeland Security. I am almost there, and this one course is making me reconsider if I will stay in school or not. Having just recently returned from my 2nd tour in Iraq with the military reserves, I am using military tuition for the courses and will lose the money if I can not pass this course with at least a C average. While I appreciate the assistance below, I really do not understand what to do next. My possible answers are

[210]
[172]
760]

[200]
[150]
[75]

[210]
[172]
[76]

[220]
[190]
[100]

Keith :?

kmille said:
This is exactly the way the question is written out in my homework. Guess I should have mentioned that I am a 48 year old male returning to online classes after 30 years away from school.
Considering you location, why did you choose to do an on-line course? There are literally hundreds of institutions in your area that offer this course in a classroom setting. On-line mathematics courses almost never work for someone with a weak background in mathematics. In fact they may be useful only for review, say for someone just out of school who did not receive a strong course in high school but has some vague understanding of the basics.
Were I you, I would not let this decide my future. But I would find a place to take this material in a classroom setting. “Finite Mathematics” is difficult in the best of situations let alone trying to do it on-line.

It was not my decision unfortunately to take my classes online. I started the online courses 2 years ago and attained my Associates Degree, being very close to completing studies for my Bachelors. I had to begin the online courses when I was in the military, deploying every time you turned around. Attending a regular school was not an option that I was able to take. Now that I am back from my last deployment, I have to stay with this institution because I am so close to my final degree. I have been looking around for a paid tutor, but have not had much luck with this type of math. If you are interested in assisting me, send me a personal message with your email address and I will give you my offer.