Another scintillating A level (mechanics-statics) question

Fedex16

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1CkkRrU4oglo-8PiXh2fmTaRuIoCzxTSqGReM2AdVX3Q

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1CkkRrU4oglo-8PiXh2fmTaRuIoCzxTSqGReM2AdVX3Q

Your help/advice with this would be appreciated:

A uniform solid hemisphere of weight W , radius r and centre of mass distant 3r/8 from the centre of its plane face is placed with its circular face in contact with a smooth plane inclined at ω to the horizontal. Equilibrium is maintained by a force P tangential to the curved surface and in the vertical plane containing the centre of mass and line of greatest slope of the plane. The direction of P makes an angle β with the vertical.
  1. Find P in terms of W, ω and β
  2. If the magnitude of the reaction of the plane on the hemisphere is R, show that:
R = W sin β cosec (ω + β)
  1. Find the distance of the line of action of R from the centre of the circular face of the hemisphere
I have copied a link illustrating how the system of forces look-hope you can read/understand it!. Can anyone have a look and let me know if this can be solved by geometry, taking moments and give a clue etc. Please note the Reaction line is at right angles to the inclined plane because it is a smooth plane, please can you label this as C, which I have missed of the diagram. The three forces meet above the hemisphere where equilibrium is maintained by force P. The question states the force acts in the vertical plane and line of greatest slope. This means if you can imagine looking at the plane from the front projection the force will be acting vertically and tangentially to the centre of the hemisphere ie line of greatest slope and not and some skewed angle. Geometrically I struggle and I'm sure someone will be able to find out angles/lengths in order to solve it.

Thank you so much

Best wishes

Last edited:

A uniform solid hemisphere of weight W , radius r and centre of mass distant 3/8r from the centre of its plane face is placed with its circular face in contact with a smooth plane inclined at ω to the horizontal. Equilibrium is maintained by a force P tangential to the curved surface and in the vertical plane containing the centre of mass and line of greatest slope of the plane. The direction of P makes an angle β with the vertical.
  2. If the magnitude of the reaction of the plane on the hemisphere is R, show that:
  1. Find the distance of the line of action of R from the centre of the circular face of the hemisphere
Best wishes

Unfortunately, I don't know the definitions you are using. For the center of mass, you say that it is a distance of \(\displaystyle \frac{3}{8r}\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{3r}{8}\) from the center of its plane face. I can see two possible ways to evaluate this.

1. The center of mass is concentrated on the circle located on the plane face with radius equal to one of the two distances above.
2. The center of mass is concentrated into a hollow hemisphere with radius given by one of the two distances above.

Next, the entire sentence beginning with "Equilibrium is maintained..." is full of terms that have precise definitions to you, but unknown definitions to me. What exactly is meant by "equilibrium"? If you take the sum of all forces in the system, should you get zero? What is the difference between a horizontal plane and a vertical plane? Is the horizontal plane considered the plane where any two non-parallel vectors on the plane have a normal vector either in the direction of the force of gravity or in the negative direction of the force of gravity? I don't have any idea how the vertical plane might be oriented, since there could be any number of planes oriented vertically that are parallel to the force of gravity. Since the vertical plane is supposed to contain the center of gravity, this implies that the vertical plane is not one of the standard planes, but a hyperplane of some sort based on one of the two possible definitions for center of mass.

It is possible these terms would be immediately understood on a physics forum, but I have no clue about any of them.

A uniform solid hemisphere of weight W , radius r and centre of mass distant 3/8r from the centre of its plane face is placed with its circular face in contact with a smooth plane inclined at ω to the horizontal. Equilibrium is maintained by a force P tangential to the curved surface and in the vertical plane containing the centre of mass and line of greatest slope of the plane. The direction of P makes an angle β with the vertical.
Best wishes

Did this problem come with an illustration? Is it from a textbook? If it is - which one?

Illustration

Hi, this is a past A level exam question taken off an old paper rather than from a text book. The question is exactly as it appears on the paper ie no diagram. However I do know what it looks and have drawn the objects and forces acting on them, scanned in but the Maths forum won't allow me to attach as it is too big a file. One sheet of A4 in jpeg,PDF apparently comes to 3MB-because I'm posting from the UK I suppose and not US.
So how do you want me to get this diagram to you. If you have an email address I can post it to you that way and then you can post to the Maths forum. let me know so that I can try other options of getting this posted.
Kind regards
Fedex.

Illustration

Hi, there is now an illustration of the problem to be solved. I have inserted as a link it in the original post and I apologise for the delay in providing this.
Best wishes
Fedex16

A uniform solid hemisphere of weight W , radius r and centre of mass distant 3r/8 from the centre of its plane face is placed with its circular face in contact with a smooth plane inclined at ω to the horizontal. Equilibrium is maintained by a force P tangential to the curved surface and in the vertical plane containing the centre of mass and line of greatest slope of the plane. The direction of P makes an angle β with the vertical.

I have copied a link illustrating how the system of forces look-hope you can read/understand it!. Can anyone have a look and let me know if this can be solved by geometry, taking moments and give a clue etc. Please note the Reaction line is at right angles to the inclined plane because it is a smooth plane, please can you label this as C, which I have missed of the diagram. The three forces meet above the hemisphere where equilibrium is maintained by force P. The question states the force acts in the vertical plane and line of greatest slope. This means if you can imagine looking at the plane from the front projection the force will be acting vertically and tangentially to the centre of the hemisphere ie line of greatest slope and not and some skewed angle. Geometrically I struggle and I'm sure someone will be able to find out angles/lengths in order to solve it.

This is an interesting problem. The (3/8)r center of mass is what one would expect for a hemisphere of uniform density. The value of angle β is not just a function of the slope of the plane, angle ω, but also of the density of the object. The density of the object obviously affects its radius. As the object becomes more dense (assume a fixed mass), r shrinks, and β shrinks along with it.

Let’s explore how this affects the relative magnitudes of the forces acting on the object. The weight of the object, W, will remain constant and always act vertically. Let’s draw a force diagram a bit differently than you did on your attachment. Start by drawing your plane and hemisphere as before. Draw W pointing downward from the center of mass (as you did before), then add a dotted-line vector, W’, of equal magnitude and opposite direction (upward). The tip of this upward vector defines a distinct point above the hemisphere. It is not at an arbitrary height as you have drawn in your original diagram. From this point above the hemisphere, draw a tangent line to the circle. Next, draw a line perpendicular to the plane and passing through the center of mass. Extend that line so that it intersects the tangent line.

Now we draw our two vectors P and R. For R, start the vector at the center of mass and end it at the tangent line. For P, start at the tip of R and extend it to the point above the hemisphere.

Your W, P, and R vectors are now drawn proportionately, and all forces cancel out for a net force of zero. The triangle they form has an angle of β at the top and an angle of ω at the bottom. This triangle should aid in answering the first two problem questions.

General commentary: As you can see from studying this diagram, the relative sizes of P and R will change as the radius of the hemisphere changes. As mentioned above, the radius is a function of density, so one might ask, why does the density not appear in the problem. The answer is that this is taken care of by the angle β. Changes in β will account for changes in density.

To tackle problem three, finding the distance, d, of R from the center of the sphere, I suggest summing the moments about the center of the sphere in which the hemisphere exists, i.e., the point on the plane that is (3/8)r from the center of mass. P is always r distance from this point, so its moment contribution is Pr in the clockwise (CW) direction. The weight will act in the CCW direction with moment of (W)((3/8)r)(sin ω). The moment contribution of the plane reaction force, R, will be simply Rd. We know R from problem two: R = W sin β cosec (ω + β). The sum of these three moments must be zero. Just write the equation and solve for d.

Hope that helps.

Hemisphere answer attempt

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=18smzivOXatkw4smWWU3TZ3OvsY2RC05QPUQ2QvkJy_k

[url]https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1nQavtzDYazlEab0urP2WqC9hhrwbsytXaQFw8qRD04k

[/URL]Thanks for your help. Certainly has made it easier to understand. Although I have applied your moments equation, which makes perfect sense. I'm trying to visualise distant 'd' on the diagram. When it says line of action does it mean at the intersection of R with the tangent and the distance from here to the centre of the hemishere ie 'O' ?

Sorry if its a bit messy.

Best wishes

Fedex16

I'm trying to visualise distant 'd' on the diagram. When it says line of action does it mean at the intersection of R with the tangent and the distance from here to the centre of the hemishere ie 'O' ?

No, d is not the distance to the intersection point on the force diagram. Although we drew R through the center of mass earlier, that was only for purposes of constructing the force diagram. R does not necessarily pass through the center of mass. In fact, R slides up and down along the incline depending angle beta. It will "slide" to the position that allows/creates equilibrium.

Picture just the point O and the line that contains R. "d" is the shortest distance from O to the line.

Great

As I imagined initially but after I read your guidance notes I was clearly confused. No problem I understand. What about the rest of the question I am assuming it is met with some acquiescence.
Regards
Fedex16

By Geometry Tan (ω) = 3r/8d, therefore d= 3rCot(ω)/8.

By Trig

The simplest form I can get, and I am not at all confident this is right, is d= 3r Sin2(ω)/8. This was obtained by, as before, expanding Cos(β+ω) and equating the coefficients.

I can't deliberate on this anymore so would be grateful for some guidance to the correct answer.

Many thanks

Fedex 16

By Geometry Tan (ω) = 3r/8d, therefore d= 3rCot(ω)/8.

By Trig

The simplest form I can get, and I am not at all confident this is right, is d= 3r Sin2(ω)/8.

You state that “By Geometry Tan (ω) = 3r/8d, therefore d= 3rCot(ω)/8”, so does this mean that you have found a right triangle with one leg of 3r and the other leg of 8d and ω opposite the 3r?

Also, note that you have made two statements regarding d:

d= 3rCot(ω)/8
d= 3r Sin2(ω)/8

If this were true, you could attempt to identify unique solutions for ω, but you would not have a general solution for d. That should be a signal that there are errors in this solution.

I do not know the form in which your solution must be presented. I agree with your work up to the step I questioned. You might want to back up one step and isolate d from there rather than applying the "simplifications" you have currently employed.