Another Wheel Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give me a sample question?
A sample question of what? Any equation in Science has to have the same units on both sides of the equation. Some simple kinematics equations:
1) \(\displaystyle v = \dfrac{x}{t}\) where x is in meters and t is in seconds. What's the unit for v?

2) \(\displaystyle v^2 = v_0^2 + 2ax\) where v and v_0 are in m/s and x is in m. What's the unit for a?

Is that what you mean?

-Dan

I suspect - this student's problem stems from the fact that he is not using paper and pencil before typing out a response (90% of the mobile phone users do not have enough time or patience to use paper and pencil).
Subhotosh

That sounds plausible. Abject laziness is the root of many problems.

As for the mobile phone, this particular student has already used the difficulty of typing with a mobile phone as an excuse. I cannot disagree with the fact of that difficulty; I do ponder the seriousness of someone who persists in using a tool admitted to be inadequate.

I did a google-search with: "How many feet does a wheel with a radius of 16 inches travel after 4 hours? "

No problem was found.

I did another google-search with: "How many feet does a wheel "

I got a hit at algebra. com (https://www.algebra.com/algebra/hom...metry_Word_Problems.faq.question.1066319.html ) with the following problem:

How many feet does a wheel with a diameter of 18 inches travel after three revolutions? Round to two decimal places as needed.

Mathdad - where is your problem?

The question was deleted.

Subhotosh

That sounds plausible. Abject laziness is the root of many problems.

As for the mobile phone, this particular student has already used the difficulty of typing with a mobile phone as an excuse. I cannot disagree with the fact of that difficulty; I do ponder the seriousness of someone who persists in using a tool admitted to be inadequate.

Lazy? What? A man who works overnight hours patrolling 20 buildings is not lazy. Try another word.

A sample question of what? Any equation in Science has to have the same units on both sides of the equation. Some simple kinematics equations:
1) \(\displaystyle v = \dfrac{x}{t}\) where x is in meters and t is in seconds. What's the unit for v?

2) \(\displaystyle v^2 = v_0^2 + 2ax\) where v and v_0 are in m/s and x is in m. What's the unit for a?

Is that what you mean?

-Dan

I was heavily criticized for posting a question WORD FOR WORD from another site. Do you have a sample word problem in terms of how the question should read?

I was heavily criticized for posting a question WORD FOR WORD from another site. Do you have a sample word problem in terms of how the question should read?

Here's a sample question.

How many feet does a wheel with a 16 inch radius travel in 4 hours when it rotates at 10 revolutions per minute.

Like I originally said you need it's angular velocity for the problem as stated to make sense.

Alternatively you can answer the question on the site. How far will the wheel travel in 4 revolutions.

How many feet does a wheel with a 16 inch radius travel in 4 hours when it rotates at 10 revolutions per minute.

Like I originally said you need it's angular velocity for the problem as stated to make sense.

Alternatively you can answer the question on the site. How far will the wheel travel in 4 revolutions.

Much better reply. I will get back to you with my answer.

The circumference is the distance in 1 revolution = 2pir.

Given 4 hours, I will start there via conversion units.

d = 4hr (60min/1hr) (10 rev/1min) * 2 * pi (16in) (1 ft/12in)

d = 6,400 pi feet (about 20,106 ft)

That problem states:

How many feet does a wheel with a diameter of 16 inches travel after four revolutions?

Not:

How many feet does a wheel with a radius of 16 inches travel after 4 hours?

I see what you mean Mr. Khan.

That problem states:

How many feet does a wheel with a diameter of 16 inches travel after four revolutions?

Not:

How many feet does a wheel with a radius of 16 inches travel after 4 hours?

I know it does. That's the whole point. OP misstated the problem.

I know it does. That's the whole point. OP misstated the problem.

I want you and the rest here to do math after being up ALL NIGHT LONG patrolling 20 buildings at a museum. You will make mistake if THE BODY AND MIND are tired.

No one would have given a damn that you made a mistake if you hadn't started arguing about it.

I was heavily criticized for posting a question WORD FOR WORD from another site.
C'mon, mathdad. You were not heavily criticized. You were told that the question was missing some information. What you did over the remainder of the thread is the real issue.

This thread reads like a 'Calvin and Hobbes' bit.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.