Applying The Ruler Postulate?

EyesThatSparkle02

A coordinate system places R at -23 and S at -6. If the Ruler Postulate is applied, with R corresponding to 0, what is the coordinate of S?

isn't it -6?
or not...i don't understand!

I've never heard of the Ruler Postulate, and I don't feel like looking it up.

Yet, I think I understand what's going on.

We're talking about two points on a Real number line, yes?

------(R = -23)----------------------------------(S = -6)------------(O = 0)----------------->

The distance from point R to point S is easily calculated, yes?

Now, if we slide segment RS to the right such that point R ends up at point O (zero), then point S will be the same number of units to the right of zero as the number of units between point R and S, yes?

I mean, the segment RS is not stretching or contracting; it's just sliding to the right as a "fixed-length".

If you understand what I've said, then the final resting place of point S is easy to determine.

If you do not understand what I've said, then tell us why.

And, if you think that my interpretation of the Ruler Postulate is way off-base, please say so. Such a statement will motivate me to look it up. 8-)

Re:

mmm4444bot said:

I've never heard of the Ruler Postulate, and I don't feel like looking it up.

Yet, I think I understand what's going on.

We're talking about two points on a Real number line, yes?

------(R = -23)----------------------------------(S = -6)------------(O = 0)----------------->

The distance from point R to point S is easily calculated, yes?

Now, if we slide segment RS to the right such that point R ends up at point O (zero), then point S will be the same number of units to the right of zero as the number of units between point R and S, yes?

I mean, the segment RS is not stretching or contracting; it's just sliding to the right as a "fixed-length".

If you understand what I've said, then the final resting place of point S is easy to determine.

If you do not understand what I've said, then tell us why.

And, if you think that my interpretation of the Ruler Postulate is way off-base, please say so. Such a statement will motivate me to look it up. 8-)

well i think you're totally right. so the distance between r and s is 17 so s = 17 if r=0 right?