Approriate u substituion help

nickman

The question is on integration, a substitution needs to be made before I can use the back of my book to solve it but I'm confused on what I should substitute so it fits the a U formulas in the back of my book.

Can anyone help?

Integration of:

1/(x*(x-5x^2)^(1/2))

The back of the book has a bunch of forumulas with A and U in them, but none match and that x on the bottom is the reason why.

nickman said:
The question is on integration, a substitution needs to be made before I can use the back of my book to solve it but I'm confused on what I should substitute so it fits the a U formulas in the back of my book.

Can anyone help?

Integration of:

1/(x*(x-5x^2)^(1/2))

Does your problem look like this:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{x\cdot (x \ - \ 5x^2)} dx\)

If it does - you'll break it up into two fractions using partial fractions first.

Does your problem look like this:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{x\cdot (x \ - \ 5x^2)} dx\)

If it does - you'll break it up into two fractions using partial fractions first.[/quote]

That's the A/ + Bx+C/ kind of stuff, right?

Let \(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{u}\) and it whittles down nicely to \(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u-5}}du\)

which is easy to integrate.

galactus said:
Let \(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{u}\) and it whittles down nicely to \(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u-5}}du\)

which is easy to integrate.

Wait, would that mean let u=1/x ? Making du= -1/x^2 I'm confused as to how it becomes the answer you gave.

Galactus is right - I missed the ^(1/2) part in the original expression.

Subhotosh Khan said:

Wait but then

"Wait, would that mean let u=1/x ? Making du= -1/x^2 I'm confused as to how it becomes the answer you gave."

nickman said:
Subhotosh Khan said:

Wait but then

"Wait, would that mean let u=1/x ? Making du= -1/x^2 I'm confused as to how it becomes the answer you gave."

try to do the substitution and show us what you get.

Subhotosh Khan said:
nickman said:
[quote="Subhotosh Khan":3cpqvyli]Galactus is right - I missed the ^(1/2) part in the original expression.

Wait but then

try to do the substitution and show us what you get.[/quote:3cpqvyli]

Well after u=1/x, du=-1/x^2, the u=1/x makes it u(x-5x^2)^(1/2) and then....I'm stuck

nickman said:
nickman said:
Subhotosh Khan said:

Wait but then

try to do the substitution and show us what you get.

Well after u=1/x, du=-1/x^2, the u=1/x makes it u(x-5x^2)^(1/2) and then....I'm stuck

dx/[x(x-5x^2)^(1/2)]

= dx/[x * {x^2*(1/x - 5)}[sup:1qkwk0yr]1/2[/sup:1qkwk0yr]]

= 1/[x[sup:1qkwk0yr]2[/sup:1qkwk0yr] * {(1/x - 5)}[sup:1qkwk0yr]1/2[/sup:1qkwk0yr]]

= [1/x[sup:1qkwk0yr]2[/sup:1qkwk0yr] dx]/{(1/x - 5)}[sup:1qkwk0yr]1/2[/sup:1qkwk0yr]

Now can you continue....

Before doing serious work with Calculus, you need to sharpen your skills in Algebra.....

Well after u=1/x, du=-1/x^2, the u=1/x makes it u(x-5x^2)^(1/2) and then....I'm stuck[/quote]

dx/[x(x-5x^2)^(1/2)]

= dx/[x * {x^2*(1/x - 5)}[sup:3ty7t0t7]1/2[/sup:3ty7t0t7]]

= 1/[x[sup:3ty7t0t7]2[/sup:3ty7t0t7] * {(1/x - 5)}[sup:3ty7t0t7]1/2[/sup:3ty7t0t7]]

= [1/x[sup:3ty7t0t7]2[/sup:3ty7t0t7] dx]/{(1/x - 5)}[sup:3ty7t0t7]1/2[/sup:3ty7t0t7]

Now can you continue....

Before doing serious work with Calculus, you need to sharpen your skills in Algebra.....[/quote]

Well the whole point of this is to get it into one of the formulas in the back of the book, but once it becomes integral of du/(u-5)^1/2 ...you no longer can do that as some of the forms require like....

integral du/(u*(a^2-u^2))= -1/a ln |(a+ (a^2-u^2)^(1/2)/u | + C

Well anyway, thanks for trying guys.

nickman said:

dx/[x(x-5x^2)^(1/2)]

= dx/[x * {x^2*(1/x - 5)}[sup:1dk67qd1]1/2[/sup:1dk67qd1]]

= 1/[x[sup:1dk67qd1]2[/sup:1dk67qd1] * {(1/x - 5)}[sup:1dk67qd1]1/2[/sup:1dk67qd1]]

= [1/x[sup:1dk67qd1]2[/sup:1dk67qd1] dx]/{(1/x - 5)}[sup:1dk67qd1]1/2[/sup:1dk67qd1]

Now can you continue....

Before doing serious work with Calculus, you need to sharpen your skills in Algebra.....[/quote]

Well the whole point of this is to get it into one of the formulas in the back of the book, but once it becomes integral of du/(u-5)^1/2 ...you no longer can do that as some of the forms require like....

Well anyway, thanks for trying guys.[/quote]

Your book does not have the following formula

\(\displaystyle \int x^n dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + C\)

You are kidding .... right....

Subhotosh Khan said:
nickman said:

dx/[x(x-5x^2)^(1/2)]

= dx/[x * {x^2*(1/x - 5)}[sup:3cgoaozg]1/2[/sup:3cgoaozg]]

= 1/[x[sup:3cgoaozg]2[/sup:3cgoaozg] * {(1/x - 5)}[sup:3cgoaozg]1/2[/sup:3cgoaozg]]

= [1/x[sup:3cgoaozg]2[/sup:3cgoaozg] dx]/{(1/x - 5)}[sup:3cgoaozg]1/2[/sup:3cgoaozg]

Now can you continue....

Before doing serious work with Calculus, you need to sharpen your skills in Algebra.....

Well anyway, thanks for trying guys.[/quote]

Your book does not have the following formula

\(\displaystyle \int x^n dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + C\)

You are kidding .... right....[/quote]

Well all the previous forty questions before this use formulas 70+, why would this one shoot back to #1? There has to be a more relevant way to solve this as it pertains to the chapter.

Hello, nickman!

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int \frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x-5x^2}}\)

Under the radical, complete the square:

. . \(\displaystyle x-5x^2 \;=\;-(5x^2 - x) \;=\;-5\left(x^2 - \tfrac{1}{5}x\right) \;=\;-5\left(x^2 - \tfrac{1}{5}x + \tfrac{1}{100} - \tfrac{1}{100}\right) \;=\;\)

. . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle =\;-5\bigg[\left(x - \tfrac{1}{10}\right)^2 - \tfrac{1}{100}\bigg] \;=\;5\bigg[\tfrac{1}{100} - \left(x - \tfrac{1}{10}\right)^2\bigg]\)

. . \(\displaystyle \text{Then: }\;\sqrt{x-5x^2} \;=\;\sqrt{5}\,\sqrt{\left(\tfrac{1}{10}\right)^2 - \left(x - \tfrac{1}{10}\right)^2 }\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \text{The integral becomes: }\;\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\int \frac{dx}{x\sqrt{(\frac{1}{10})^2 - (x-\frac{1}{10})^2}}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Let: }\:x-\tfrac{1}{10} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{10}\sin\theta \quad\Rightarrow\quad x \;=\;\tfrac{1}{10}(\sin\theta + 1) \quad\Rightarrow\quad dx \:=\:\tfrac{1}{10}\cos\theta\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \text{Substitute: }\;\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \int \frac{\frac{1}{10}\cos\theta\,d\theta}{\frac{1}{10}(\sin\theta + 1)\cdot \frac{1}{10}\cos\theta} \;\;=\;\;\frac{10}{\sqrt{5}} \int \frac{d\theta}{\sin\theta + 1} \;\;=\;\;2\sqrt{5}\int\frac{d\theta}{1 + \sin\theta}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Multiply by }\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1-\sin\theta}\!:\quad2\sqrt{5}\int\frac{d\theta}{1 + \sin\theta}\cdot\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1-\sin\theta} \;\;=\;\;2\sqrt{5}\int \frac{1-\sin\theta}{1-\sin^2\!\theta}\,d\theta\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle \displaystyle =\;2\sqrt{5}\int \frac{1-\sin\theta}{\cos^2\!\theta}\,d\theta \;\;=\;\; 2\sqrt{5}\int\left(\frac{1}{\cos^2\!\theta} - \frac{\sin\theta}{\cos^2\!\theta}\right)d\theta\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle =\; 2\sqrt{5} \int\left(\sec^2\!\theta - \sec\theta\tan\theta)\,d\theta\)

I'll let you finish it . . .

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{dx}{x(x-5x^2)^{1/2}} \ = \ \int\frac{dx}{x[x(1-5x)]^{1/2}} \ = \ \int\frac{dx}{x^{3/2}(1-5x)^{1/2}}\)

\(\displaystyle Now. \ let \ u \ = \ (1-5x)^{1/2}, \ du \ = \ (1/2)(1-5x)^{-1/2}(-5)dx, \ \implies \ \frac{2udu}{-5} \ = \ dx\)

\(\displaystyle Also, \ u \ = \ (1-5x)^{1/2}, \ \implies \ u^2 \ = \ 1-5x, \ \implies \ x \ = \ \frac{1-u^2}{5}, \ x^{3/2} \ = \ \frac{(1-u^2)^{3/2}}{5^{3/2}}\)

\(\displaystyle Now, \ putting \ that \ all \ together, \ we \ get: \ -2\sqrt5\int\frac{du}{(1-u^2)^{3/2}}\)

\(\displaystyle Next \ sub: \ Let \ u \ = \ sin(\theta), \ du \ = \ cos(\theta)d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle This \ gives: \ -2\sqrt5\int\frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{[1-sin^2(\theta)]^{3/2}} \ = \ -2\sqrt5\int\frac{cos(\theta)d\theta}{cos^3(\theta)} \ = \ -2\sqrt5\int\frac{d\theta}{cos^2(\theta)}\)

\(\displaystyle =-2\sqrt5\int sec^2(\theta)d\theta \ = \ -2\sqrt5 tan(\theta) \ +C\)

\(\displaystyle Now. \ resubbing, \ we \ get: \ -2\sqrt5 \frac{u}{\sqrt(1-u^2)}+C \ = \ -2\sqrt5 \frac{(1-5x)^{1/2}}{\sqrt{1-(1-5x)}}+C\)

\(\displaystyle = \ -2\frac{(1-5x)^{1/2}}{x^{1/2}}+C, \ QED, \ I'll \ leave \ the \ check \ up \ to \ whomever.\)

The sub \(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{u}, \;\ dx=\frac{-1}{u^{2}}du\)

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{\frac{1}{u}\cdot \sqrt{\frac{1}{u}-\frac{5}{u^{2}}}}\cdot \frac{-1}{u^{2}}du\)

The algebra hammers it into \(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u-5}}du\)

Now, integrate and resub.

The worst thing for many calc students is the algebra. Try working at this one and see if you can whittle it down as I showed.