Area and Circumference issue

siyanor

area.jpg
lets say we have above image(numbers are in meter), which is containing an octagonal (A) and 4 semicircular(B),now we are suppose to:
1)calculate the Area and circumference of field(A+B) in x expression ?
2)for what value of x , areas and circumferences of A and B are equal(not counting diameter in B)?
3)for x equal to 5 how many tree with the distance of 2 meters between each , we can have ?

Answer :
1)for the first one we will calculate the area and circumference of A and B then sum of them will be the Area and Circumference of required field
gif.latex

gif.latex

2)i know that we have to equal the Area and Perimeter to find the value of x but,does the question is asking us to find the x for Area and Perimeter of the whole field or we have to do it once for A and once for B (and would someone please explain who the heck we can find the Area or circumference of a semicircle without it diameter?!!!)
3)in this question we have to calculate the Perimeter of the field (around the A and B )we have the perimeter of the the rectangle part as (2((60-2x)+(40-2x)) and length of 4 arcs we have :
gif.latex

we will substitute 5 in the formula to find the numbers of trees.

Is the above calculation make sense?can you help me out on the question number 2?

Last edited:
I think you're about 28% low on the Area. How did you manage your result?

Last edited:
Hey there,

Thank you for replying.
First of all i cant see my post, is this normal ?

Regarding the results :
Area of Polygon=Area of Rectangle - 4*area of triangle= 2400-2x2
Area of semicircle : we have diameter as x(sqrt2)so our radius will be half of that.we have in total two circle so 2*(pi*r^2)= 2(pi*(xsqrt2/2)^2)

Perimeter of polygon= perimeter of rectangle - 4 *perimeter of a triangle + 8*hypotenuse
Perimeter of polygon = 2*(40+60)-4(2x+(xsqrt2))+8*(xsqrt2)=200+(4sqrt2-8)x

Perimeter of semicircles = 4*((2(Pi)(r)/2+2r)=4(Pi(sqrt2)x/2+x(sqrt2))=2(sqrt2)(Pi + 2)x

is there anything wrong with my calculation ?Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you

I guess I don't comprehend the drawing. I was thinking:

1) Giant Rectangle
2) LESS four triangular corners
3) PLUS four semi-circular regions.

I guess score one for Internet Explorer 9.0?

Last edited: