Area between cos(x) and -x^3 + 4x^2

fdragon

Two functions that intersect 3 times are f(x)= cos(x) and g(x) = -x³ + 4x². Find the area between the curves.

so I got.....

y = cos(x)
y/cos = x

and

y = -x³ + 4x²
y^(1/3) = -x + 4x²
(y^(1/3))^(1/2) = -x + 4x
((y^(1/3))^(1/2))/4 = -x + x
-((y^(1/3))^(1/2))/4 = x+x

how do I finish this???

and for the bounds... do I just look at the graph or is there a way to calculate it?

Then I would take the Integral (w/bounds) of (Right fuction - Left Function) dy.... right?

fdragon said:
y = cos(x)
y/cos = x
From what you've posted, it would appear that you are in a calculus class that depends upon trigonometry, but you've never taken trig, because you appear to be under the impression that "cos(x)" means "cos" multiplied by "x", rather than "f(x) = cos(x)". (That is to say, "cos()" represents a named function.)

Since your calculus course requires trig, you really need to take a trig class before taking the calculus class. It might be wise to conference with your academic advisor about appropriate placement.

My best wishes to you.

Eliz.

this area problem was meant to be done using technology ... it would be extremely difficult to determine the x-values where cos(x) intersects 4x<sup>2</sup> - x<sup>3</sup> by hand.

so ... get out your graphing calculator, graph the two functions, find the x-values for their 3 points of intersection (and store them). Then, set up an expression consisting of one or more integrals that will yield the desired area.

Ok I got it... I was using the wrong method..... I did it another way and it worked.